account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

External display via Snapdragon 835 built-in USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode function

Message 3 of 26
Message 3 of 26

External display via Snapdragon 835 built-in USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode function

The XZ1 Compact's Snapdragon 835 SoC supports USB-C Displayport Alternative Mode out-of-the-box which would allow us to use compatible adapters and docks to connect external TVs and displays to the phone! This works well for some other mobile phones with this SoC. Unfortunately at this moment it doesn't yet work on the XZ1 Compact. It would be great if the developers would find out why this isn't enabled and be able to enable it in a software update, so that we can watch TV and movies on our TV using the XZ1 Compact, as well as do serious work and presentations on a big screen using just the phone and a suitable cable! Thanks in advance.

25 REPLIES 25
Pioneer
Message 1 of 26
Message 1 of 26

[Feature request] USB-C DisplayPort alt mode to connect to a TV wired

There are many 3'd party USB-C-to-HDMI adapters on the market that are capable to convert the standard USB-C/DisplayPort interface to HDMI. I already own such an adapter that works perfectly with Samsung S8, and I was going to use it to connect my XZP to a TV, but it doesn't work with XZP. The Snapdragon 835 SoC in XZP already features DisplayPort alt mode, but it seems Sony has blocked it in the software for some reason. Couldn't anybody from Sony explain what's wrong? Please don't advise me to use Miracast or Google cast. I prefer HDMI. Thanks.

Visitor
Message 2 of 26
Message 2 of 26

Re: [Feature request] USB-C DisplayPort alt mode to connect to a TV wired

Would love this feature too. 

I don't see why we can't have both HDMI and Miracast.

Inhabitant
Message 4 of 26
Message 4 of 26

Re: External display via Snapdragon 835 built-in USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode function

Interesting; I was not aware that any mobile chipsets had this feature. (Is this the first mobile chipset to do so?)

Personally, I probably wouldn't use it much (if at all), but if there's already support for it in Android, it would be a nice to know it were available.

Inhabitant
Message 5 of 26
Message 5 of 26

Re: External display via Snapdragon 835 built-in USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode function

Check this out: http://armdevices.net/2017/03/02/displayport-comes-with-qualcomm-snapdragon-835-with-alt-mode-type-c...

It carries power and USB traffic as well, so with a monitor like that it sounds like you could charge and even have a keyboard/mouse connected (like they're doing with that USB drive) using just the single USB-C cable. Pretty cool.

Sage
Message 6 of 26
Message 6 of 26

They did it up to Z5 family, then they removed it. It was usefull because you can exploit your phone as a dvr without setting bluetooth or wifi and so on. Cable was cheap: 5€

Now it's available on Samsung S8,S8+,Note 8 but not on Sony.

Message 7 of 26
Message 7 of 26

Although the functionality is indeed pretty much the same, the previous models had MHL while the new method built into the 835 is DisplayPort Alt Mode. So although they did remove MHL, they probably can't and won't bring it back but instead the built-in DP alt-mode support could possibly be enabled. 

Message 8 of 26
Message 8 of 26

+1 For this, also for the XZ1 Compact which is very similar. I used MHL a lot on my older phone, and would like to continue to connect my phone to a TV via HDMI.

Pioneer
Message 9 of 26
Message 9 of 26

The oreo update didn't bring this feature (

Pioneer
Message 10 of 26
Message 10 of 26

47.1.A.5.51, still no DP support