account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Distorion on back camera

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 1 of 24
Message 1 of 24

Distorion on back camera

I am a big fan of Sony and have been keeping pace with the compacts since the Z1c. Imagine my disappointment when I pre ordered my XZ1 Compact, got it delivered, only to discover that it cannot take a picture of a straight line.

Yes, my £500 camera can’t take a picture with a straight line in it.

This debate has been going on for some time on the XZP thread (same sensor as the XZ1c) and it looks like Sony are just ignoring it.

Can I get a refund for a camera that doesn’t take quality pictures?

DSC_0019resize.jpg

23 REPLIES 23
Visitor
Message 2 of 24
Message 2 of 24

Re: Distorion on back camera

You sir, have a seriously uneven keyboard :smileysmileywink:

Joking aside, yes you can get a refund if you bought it from an official reseller. I am going to get my refund tomorrow.

Genius
Message 3 of 24
Message 3 of 24

Guys, Sony is not ignoring it. There are multiple blog post, tweets and so on about an upcoming oreo update for the entire XP lineup: One of them is quite old hbut it clearly state "Improvementes are coming" - https://twitter.com/SonyMobileNews/status/903228812338626560

I suppose that once that Oreo will be available for the XZ Premium the same camera update will be federated to all the entire XZ lineup. So, just patience... 

» If you find that an answer helped, say thanks and give kudos Slightly smiling Face

Wizardry is the key!
Talent
Message 4 of 24
Message 4 of 24

@YoGem wrote:

Guys, Sony is not ignoring it. There are multiple blog post, tweets and so on about an upcoming oreo update for the entire XP lineup: One of them is quite old hbut it clearly state "Improvementes are coming" - https://twitter.com/SonyMobileNews/status/903228812338626560

I suppose that once that Oreo will be available for the XZ Premium the same camera update will be federated to all the entire XZ lineup. So, just patience... 

Sir, they are talking about the 3D feature wich came with the XZ1 and XZ1C. They said it multiple time in IFA. There are not mentioning the distortion problem.

Adviser
Message 5 of 24
Message 5 of 24

the XZ1 Compact comes with Oreo, so no I don't accept your suggestion that it's going to make everything alright..

Message 6 of 24
Message 6 of 24

@Profyler1 wrote:

@YoGem wrote:

Sir, they are talking about the 3D feature wich came with the XZ1 and XZ1C. They said it multiple time in IFA. There are not mentioning the distortion problem.

Actually they said 

Camera improvements.

Not features, improvements..

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Sage
Message 7 of 24
Message 7 of 24

My XZ1 has distortion issue too. If you note progressive number of the image, DSC_001.jpg Slightly smiling Face you will see that has been the first check i did.

I had to reduce the image's size because it was too big for the forum's restriction but it's original. You can see a "cinemascope" bend towards the center.

I know that it's because the wide angle but Sony, knowing the lens geometry, may implement the correction algorithm. Ricoh does the same with my theta S 360° lenses.

DSC_0001.JPG

Talent
Message 8 of 24
Message 8 of 24

@viridis wrote:

@Profyler1 wrote:

@YoGem wrote:

Actually they said 

Camera improvements.

Not features, improvements..

Well, I hope you're right...

Talent
Message 9 of 24
Message 9 of 24

@Bhonder wrote:

My XZ1 has distortion issue too. If you note progressive number of the image, DSC_001.jpg Slightly smiling Face you will see that has been the first check i did.

I had to reduce the image's size because it was too big for the forum's restriction but it's original. You can see a "cinemascope" bend towards the center.

I know that it's because the wide angle but Sony, knowing the lens geometry, may implement the correction algorithm. Ricoh does the same with my theta S 360° lenses.

DSC_0001.JPG

Its ridiculous... I cant believe this passed the quality control. 

As a person who works with testing and Quality, I found it hard to believe that they allowed such thing as this...

And yeah, of course its correctable, there ate several cameras and phones with wide angle lens. A software can correct this if they want to. 

Talent
Message 10 of 24
Message 10 of 24

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

Just got my XZ1C and guess what guys??!!!

I got a curved tv now Smiling Face with open mouth & closed Eyes