account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Android pie update in xz1 compact with many problems

Inhabitant
Message 31 of 46
Message 31 of 46

Re: Android pie update in xz1 compact with many problems

@eaglegrip wrote:

Well they HAVE TO DO SOMETHING !! Not allowing something which will fix everyone's issues caused by pie is just backwards . They need to get a new pie out then with the fixes on it like yesterday !!! Its one or the other Sony !!?

Tbh I don't care what they do, I just want my phone fixed and get rid of that ASAP (and buy a phone (not Sony) with quality support and updates)

Apprentice
Message 32 of 46
Message 32 of 46

I was advised by customer service that the missing ringtone volume control could be reinstated onto the volume keys with a 3rd party app. So far I've tried 2 which don't work. I will keep emailing customer service to ask when they will find the problem

Apprentice
Message 33 of 46
Message 33 of 46

.... Fix the problem. As a 50 year old man who uses his phone for business, it doesn't make me feel any better when being awarded badges for posting complaints on this forum.

Enthusiast
Message 34 of 46
Message 34 of 46

Good point - and well said. I think the points, merit badges etc., are to appease. Wishing you the best with your endeavour to get a fix. 🍀. P. S. I'm a customer like you. 

Inhabitant
Message 35 of 46
Message 35 of 46

Community support would be a good idea if that was an extension, a second line of the manufacturer's tech support. I bought a device from Sony, therefore I expect proper technical support from them at the first place.

My experience with Sony's tech support is:

- they cover mostly obvious cases with troubleshooting articles

- if there's any kind of edge case, the only tech "support" they give is asking you to perform a clean install and if that doesn't help asking you to send back your phone (if you are within the warranty period)

I bought a new phone from Sony months ago, and now I have to send it back to them due to their bad quality Android Pie update. It never happened before with any other devices I had in the past. Only with Sony. It's disappointing. Considering that the issue is a software issue (the feature was working totally fine with previous Android), they should be able to provide remote assistance and root cause analysis instead of asking me to send back the phone and wait weeks to get it back.

Obviously they will fix it under warranty, or replace the phone, etc... That's not the issue. The issue is that I have to spend hours with setting up my apps and environment on my old phone and do the same again when they return the phone I bought from them. Nobody will compensate me for the lost time.

Therefore the logical step for me is to sell the phone after they fixed and buy from another vendor just to make sure Sony won't do it again with the next update they release.

If a company releases a software update for their device and that update renders basic features of the phone void it means that company can't be trusted and such kind of issues can and will happen. So the way to avoid them: buy a device from another manufacturer.

Enthusiast
Message 36 of 46
Message 36 of 46

If your 'phone has to be sent away for a manufacturer's repair - make sure to keep a copy of your serial number. I k ow people who sent their PlayStation to them for repair under warranty. THEY GOT A RECONDITIONED ONE IN RETURN AND WERE TOLD THIS WAS NORMAL PRACTICE!! 💥 Not their own. This is disgraceful conduct. Sounds like a back street operation. The only time your serial number should change is if they replace the motherboard - AND TELL YOU THEY HAVE DONE THIS. 

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 37 of 46
Message 37 of 46

I do not care what they change as long as I get back a phone that is working properly and in the same or better condition than the one I've sent and still under warranty (possible extended from the date of repair). I'm thinking on selling that anyway... I don't want to be in the same situation when I get Sony's next software update. The fact that a software update can cause such issues that are possible to fix only with sending back the phone to the manufacturer is just ridiculous.

Visitor
Message 38 of 46
Message 38 of 46

Since I've updated my phone to Pie, my GPS is not working anymore.....

Will they do something to fix this issue too??

Inhabitant
Message 39 of 46
Message 39 of 46

One of my main gripes with it as well esp with arthritis of the hands the last thing I need is more fiddly things to touch on a touchscreen which I'm not even a big fan of anyway ... Just making things unnecessarily difficult and lending itself to more mistakes possibly getting made . Volume side buttons is essential and not media volume for goodess sake what ???!???

Inhabitant
Message 40 of 46
Message 40 of 46

Well they should offer customers with the problems a replacement phone with Oreo on it as a gesture of goodwill if they chose that so they can get the life out of their phobe they paid for.  Or are thy purposely trying to force customers into buying a new handsets well before they should be due???! T makes you wonder doesn't it... If not a bit of honesty would go a long way and help them to keep all these customers whose phones they have messed up! !!!!!