account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Android 9... why going backward??

Learner
Message 1 of 15
Message 1 of 15

Android 9... why going backward??

Hi,

Since android 9 update, it look like we jump back in time.

Other than the fact that volume button is controlling only media volume.. and that's ok, why the small cogwheel bring us to the preference menu to see all the others volumes setting? The previous way to do it was way faster (I mean just having a kind of pop up window in front of everything with all the volume settings).

But the biggest problem for me is the fact that when you change a volume setting, the phone is playing a sound to make you hear how loud it's gonna be! This feature has been removed maybe 4 years ago and it was way better without it. Now you can't set the volume before goign to sleep without playing sound and bother people around you... 

Let's talk about the graphics...Anguished Face . Why virtual buttons doesn't hide anymore? I got a xz1 compact and it reduce a lot the net usable area. Is there a way to make them disapear as before?

Also the quick settings buttons from the top bar are now bigger and these blue circles are not so modern, this really look like an old graphics and make this menu less clean than before. No way to change this I guess?

Am i the only one ?

14 REPLIES 14
One time poster
Message 2 of 15
Message 2 of 15

Re: Android 9... why going backward??

Translation via Google Translate:

I would like to be able to regulate my ringtone volume simply and quickly and completely sensibly via the volume keys (as before the update) !!! Please help me! It really is extremely annoying to have to enter the settings menu and change the ringer volume via the slider (which also plays the sound and thus disturbs everyone).

Ich möchte gerne wieder (wie vor dem Update) meine Klingeltonlautstärke einfach und schnell und vollkommen sinnvoll über die Lautstärketasten regulieren können!!! Bitte helft mir! Es ist wirklich extrem nervig erst ins Einstellungsmenü zu müssen und über den Schieber (welcher auch noch den Ton abspielt und dadurch alle rundherum stört) die Klingeltonlautstärke zu verändern! 

One time poster
Message 3 of 15
Message 3 of 15

Wholeheartedly agree! 

Message 4 of 15
Message 4 of 15

@tmpneuf @Netti23 @Qwertyalias

There's a workaround for the people who want to control ringer and notification volume when pressing the volume buttons. Simple install Button Mapper v0.73 APK, grant it accessibility permission, then map your volume up button to "Volume up" and volume down button to "Volume down". This will make the volume buttons control ringtone and notification volume by default and you'll see 2 sliders on-screen: one for ringtones and the other for media.

Note: DO NOT install later versions of this app, you'll find this feature requires a paid subscription (unless you want to support the developer, of course).

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Message 5 of 15
Message 5 of 15

Translation via Google Translate:

same problem. navigation buttons are very annoying. Sometimes you want to reflash because of this back to Android 8

такая же проблема. кнопки навигации очень напрягают. порой хочется из за этого перепрошить обратно на Android 8  

Learner
Message 6 of 15
Message 6 of 15

Yes the new volume controller is a disaster, before I could put the phone on vibrate without looking and vice versa. I guess I have to root my phone so I can go back to previous version because this is unusable.  

Message 7 of 15
Message 7 of 15

@coho

Check the workaround I posted above. Also, you don't need to root in order to downgrade, you just need to download and flash a previous oreo firmware.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Learner
Message 8 of 15
Message 8 of 15

Okay I look in to that thanks, the solution above is a paid solution and I don’t pay to fix a really bad product.   

Message 9 of 15
Message 9 of 15

@coho

If you download the version I linked you'll not have to pay anything. Also bear in mind that this is Google's design, not Sony.

Visitor
Message 10 of 15
Message 10 of 15

Bad move Sony. 

Previous way to adjust volume was much better.