account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

Adaptive brightness not keeping set state with Android 9

Regular
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Adaptive brightness not keeping set state with Android 9

Hi folks 

After doing a clean software repair with the actual Android 9 release, i noticed, that adaptive brightness is losing the set maximum level (set up under full sun light) for screen brightness. After restart or power cycle, phone gets back to 100% max level. But there are some rare other cases this happens, i can't figure out.

Best regards 

prtigger 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Rookie
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Adaptive brightness not keeping set state with Android 9

i have to say the adaptive brightness is pretty screwed up in android pie.

1. when on, it goes all the way to the bottom, even when there is not enough light.

2. when you override and put the brightness up (even though auto is on). after a while it decides to go down to 0 (low) again.

One time poster
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Adaptive/auto brightness - how to make it work

Dear Sony,

Your adaptive brightness doesn't work and neither does any auto brightness function on other phones, including iPhones. Don't try to implement every function in software if a simple and cheap hardware solution works just fine and independent from software update bugs. Just equip your phones with a photo (that's light) diode on the front and some simple transistor driving circuitry to drive the backlight. This is how we -electronics engineers- did things back in the previous century before apparently even the most simple functions had to be implemented in software. I understand the cost reduction doing things in software vs hardware but for a simple auto-brightness function this is really rediculous and worsed of all: does not work reliably.

One time poster
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

autobrightness problem

I turned off auto brightness but it still working.

My screen inecrase brightness If use it under sun.

Is it normal?

Does anyone have same issue?

Commissioner
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Re: autobrightness problem

I think there is a contrast enhancer built into the processor of these phones that makes the screen easier to see in bright sunlight and this works independently from the screen brightness.

I believe it is called Snapdragon Assertive display and I don't think it can be disabled.