account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

"Phone Idle" battery drain in 7.0 Nougat

Visitor
Message 1 of 340
Message 1 of 340

"Phone Idle" battery drain in 7.0 Nougat

I have noticed that my battery keeps draining fast and I've only had this phone since the beginning of the month! When I checked the apps that are draining the battery, I noticed "Phone Idle" is using approximately 17% (with an Time on of 22h 56m 12s) of the battery! I'm pretty sure that's not something normal. Any idea why this is happening or how to solve this? Thanks in advance.

339 REPLIES 339
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 340
Message 2 of 340

Re: "Phone Idle" battery drain in 7.0 Nougat

Hi @diego87s,

In this situation I would advise to fully charge the unit to 100%. Once the unit is fully charged use the unit as normal till it reaches around 5-10%

Once it reaches this amount I would advise to check in Settings > Power management > Battery usage and take a screenshot of the top 3 apps and the percentage they are using, along with the graph.

I recommend you do the same in safe mode to see if there's any difference.

This will give us an accurate idea of what part of the phone is using what amount of battery.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 3 of 340
Message 3 of 340

Hi,

I would like to inform you that I am also experiencing the same issue with my phone since I've updated my phone to Nougat. Before the update, "phone idle" battery drain was around %2 during the night (approx. 7 hours) and wireless connection was on. In the same scenario with Nougat, I started experiencing drastic increase with the battery consumption and increased to %12. 

I was checking forums related to Nougat updates and tried the solutions there such as opening the phone in safe mode and clearing the cache but none of them seems to be working so far. The only thing that I realise is that when I switch off the wireless connection, batter consumption decreases a bit. 

Right now, as I checked the stats of the battery I can see that I took my phone off the charge around 14 hours ago and "phone idle" consumption is around %26 and Android İS is around %13. I assume the problem is related with the Nougat update itself but could you please guide me what else I can try to fix this?

Thank you.

Rookie
Message 4 of 340
Message 4 of 340

I'm also having the same issue, I've tried a complete factory reset through xperia companion and I've also tried wiping the partition cache but still getting Phone Idol drain in the 20's. I've seen a few other people with the same issue on other fourms so it isn't just a few isolated case's. Is there anything else we can try or are we going to have too wait for an update?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 340
Message 5 of 340

Hi @XperiaXZuser & @revengeof,

Welcome to the community.

If you have already tried the steps above and the software repair using Xperia Companion, then I recommend you contact your Local support to have it assessed.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Commissioner
Message 6 of 340
Message 6 of 340

Crikey, apart from split-screen multitasking which nobody uses anyway, and the ability to block callers, are there any positives to this Nougat update? It sounds terrible.
Veteran
Message 7 of 340
Message 7 of 340

Yes, battery life is longet when comparing to Android 6, I mean SOT is better. They only need to trim the consumption when screen is off (idle time). Otherwise phone is a bit faster, there is a possibility to see multimedia messages faster, before opening a thread. There is new notifications panel and few smaller things + split screen for apps you mentioned. Other than that most of the things we already had for XZ. Check this video:

https://youtu.be/OiZqtQ7HBlc

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 340
Message 8 of 340

That idle issue will clear soon, I had the same issue on all of our X performances, XZ and X compacts, now all back to running perfectly. 

Rookie
Message 9 of 340
Message 9 of 340

Do you mean it corrects itself or when sony finaly pushes a fix out through an update

Apprentice
Message 10 of 340
Message 10 of 340

Same issue facing with my Xperia XZ, phone idle battery drain is around 24%, already contacted care and reset phone. But still facing same issue.