account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

"Phone Idle" battery drain in 7.0 Nougat

Highlighted
Learner
Message 201 of 340
Message 201 of 340

Re: Xperia XZ, Nougat, Insane battery drain

Phone idle is draining a lot of battery. Sony Xperia XZ (Dual Sim) is my first sony device and really regreting on my decision.

Used many high end smartphones and chinese cheap smartphones but haven't face this kind of drain and terrible battery life and software support.

Very bad engineering...

Shame Sony!!! Its your flagship device.

Where is your Software Testing Team and what the Quality Review Team is doing ....

Inhabitant
Message 202 of 340
Message 202 of 340

Once this  will be fixed you will love the phone, it's a realy nice one. But having this battery drain is very annoying.

Learner
Message 203 of 340
Message 203 of 340

Re: "Phone Idle" battery drain in 7.0 Nougat

Same here. 

Since 7.0, phone Idle and Android OS are draining my battery in 12-14 hrs if left unused. With use, the time is 6-7 hours, with onscreen time of 3:30 in best case scenario. 

I've used Sony phones since 2011. This XZ is surely the worst in terms of software. 

I hope it won't be my last. 

Adviser
Message 204 of 340
Message 204 of 340

So far, there is nothing real good I can say about this bad product that I payed a fortune for. I really regret not going with OnePlus 3t, because it isn't waterproof, or. Not going with s7 edge. Because it's just way too mainstream 

But what I really regret much much mote is buying this stupid piece of crap for a fortune. 

Last mistake of buying anything Sony. 

Sony deserves to go out of smart phone business after blunders like this and qos like this. 

Inhabitant
Message 205 of 340
Message 205 of 340

I own an X Performance but came to this thread via Google. I am editing this post. At first I could not understand everyone's problem, because I had Nougat 7.0 on my phone and was experiencing phenomenal battery life. PHENOMENAL. I thought, finally my Sony phone is perfect.

However two days ago, the phone notified of software update and I installed. The OS version afterwards remained at 7.0.  I thought that's strange, you'd think they'd append something to a new version.

Now, guess what?  PHONE IDLE is totally consuming my battery.  

Inhabitant
Message 206 of 340
Message 206 of 340

@NetBoySteve1 wrote:

There is equivalent information via Web search that it could be Google's fault with Nougat, or a rogue background app.

Galaxy S6, S7 (my family and friends phones), Xperia X performance, Xperia XZ and some models have this issue... Yes, problem detect from play services...

But, Let look at the problem a little wider:

Customize android with OEM may the real problem. Moto Z, Pixel, htc 10 not have problem!!! Moto and htc are closed to pure android!

Some Google services along with OEM's services, are problematic.

At end, can not be said that the main problem is the only Google.

One time poster
Message 207 of 340
Message 207 of 340

Turn the phone on in  Safe Mode and you will probably find that the battery life with WiFi or mobile data on will let much longer and in addition stay cool. If this is the case, then you have a rouge app which is the cause of the problem and not the phone itself. I have just experience the same problem as you and found information on the net for fixing the problem. Andy 

Visitor
Message 208 of 340
Message 208 of 340

Is there any offical date for next android update ?

One time poster
Message 209 of 340
Message 209 of 340

I don't know if this helps but I have had exactly the same problem that I seem to have solved by doing the following. 

I firstly took off or disabled the "bloatware" that came with the phone. These were "wifi scanners" (your phone does that anyway), antivirus and anything else that was not relevant to me like "kobo book app" etc. 

I then used "stamina mode" when my phone was not being used, reduced screen brightness to 50‰,screen timeout to 15 seconds. 

I then drained my battery completely and fully recharged it. 

Since then I have had absolutely no drainage issues at all. 

If theres any software that's not relevant to you.... Lose it or disable it. 

Adept
Message 210 of 340
Message 210 of 340

@ahmadzkn wrote:

So far, there is nothing real good I can say about this bad product that I payed a fortune for. I really regret not going with OnePlus 3t, because it isn't waterproof, or. Not going with s7 edge. Because it's just way too mainstream 

But what I really regret much much mote is buying this stupid piece of crap for a fortune. 

Last mistake of buying anything Sony. 

Sony deserves to go out of smart phone business after blunders like this and qos like this. 

👍👍👍👍👍