account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

"Phone Idle" battery drain in 7.0 Nougat

Rookie
Message 51 of 340
Message 51 of 340

Re: "Phone Idle" battery drain in 7.0 Nougat

I have disabled Facebook and uninstalled FB Messenger and it seems phone does not run hot anymore and battery duration seems improved. Clearly it is just a temporary solution hoping Sony finds a fix. It all started with last update of the system software with me.

Commissioner
Message 52 of 340
Message 52 of 340

Has anyone got the 'Do it later' scheduled SMS app? My XZ is on Marshmallow (due to all the Nougat problems) and today Facebook and Messenger have caned my battery despite the apps not even being opened. I had updated two apps this morning, Google Documents and the Do It Later app so I disabled both and my battery drain ceased. I then determined which app was the culprit and it wasn't Google Documents....
So see which apps you have updated since your battery drain started, because my drain was nothing to do with the latest Xperia update.

Adviser
Message 53 of 340
Message 53 of 340

@Bonzo1 wrote:
Hi, I'm experiencing all of the issues listed in this post. Battery life was fine before update, now on second charge today as I write this. Phone really hot all the time, even after soft reset. Date and time incorrectly displayed for approximately 4 minutes resulting in error from what's app. Please fix as I like phone. Kind regards David

I got exactly same problem. I bought Sony XZ one month ago but this has just happened yesterday.

Learner
Message 54 of 340
Message 54 of 340

I'm afraid it's nothing to do with Sony. It's Facebook and Messenger silent updates. Real pain. Check out this article http://android.wonderhowto.com/news/silent-facebook-messenger-server-update-brings-fast-draining-bat...

I uninstalled both and reinstall FB only and it seems normal now. Forget Messenger forever.

Commissioner
Message 55 of 340
Message 55 of 340

Well I don't need to Uninstall anything cut down battery usage while idle.
For me the simplest solution to switch to airplane mode overnight. There the observed battery drain is so minimal...

Rookie
Message 56 of 340
Message 56 of 340

Kept all data communications off except Wi-Fi

Normal operation. It's either lte or Bluetooth
Learner
Message 57 of 340
Message 57 of 340

Same battery issues here
Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 58 of 340
Message 58 of 340

Well my drain was back to normal immediately after disabling a very recent third party app update, so it was nothing to do with FB or Messenger 'silent updates'.
Visitor
Message 59 of 340
Message 59 of 340

OK guys. I can not guarantee this method and do not recommend to anyone, but this worked for me.
This method requires a factory reset, so back up ALL the data FIRST before doing this.
So what I did was :
1.Connect my device to a computer
2.Download the program Xperia Companion and open
3.Click "Software repair" and wait for it to finish

My battery is now better, definitely worth it.
Message 60 of 340
Message 60 of 340