account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia XZ won't recognize 4pin headphones / jacks

Learner
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Xperia XZ won't recognize 4pin headphones / jacks

Hi guys,

so I had this problem since I got the phone. Used the Soundabout app to route sound to my headphones, but the app doesn't work under Android 8.

3pin jacks are detected fine, 4pin other than Sony's included headphones are detected at all or I just see a glimpse of the headset status bar icon.

Haven't tried if the problem still exists with the propietary USB-C dongle either.

Because Sony's hardware gets detected I think it's not a hardware problem. Furthermore this is my second XZ, because it was replaced by the seller due to this exact problem. With my previous XZ I've been on Android 8, but the problem still remained.

I hope you can help me other than saying I've to send it in for repair!

Thanks, Lars

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Pioneer
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: Xperia XZ won't recognize 4pin headphones / jacks

@kabinx

You are saying that the Sony package headphones are working with the device, correct? In this case the phone has no problems. There are 2 types of 4 pin jacks, the difference being the connection of Ground and Mic (inverted). If the ones you are trying have inverted connections, they won't work. 

Learner
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

But the funny thing is, every headphone worked fine with my old Xperia XA1.

Also I know there's two types of TRRS jacks, but anyone adopted CTIA and I don't think my headphones are OMTP.

Headphones I have:

- Sennheiser Urbanite On-Ear with Galaxy/Android cable variant [also working fine with a Galaxy S5 mini]

- JBL Synchros E10, Galaxy/Android cable variant

- Audio-Technica ATH-M40X with ketdirect remote control cable [cable didn't arrive yet, so I couldn't try it]

Learner
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

Thank God the cable for my ATH-M40X work like a charm!

Finally I won't have to use SoundAbout anymore to route the audio to the headphones. And I can update to Android 8 (SoundAbout crashes under Oreo).

But still this weird problem remains, but I don't have to worry anymore about it.