account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Xperia XZ touch screen problem

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 101 of 110
Message 101 of 110

Re: The touchsreen is not working properly

Is the phone still waterproof after replacing the screen? 

Message 102 of 110
Message 102 of 110

@Sorell8122 wrote:

Is the phone still waterproof after replacing the screen? 

Depends entirely on who replaced it.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 103 of 110
Message 103 of 110

Hi @DDin, sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

Based on the troubleshooting you have already done your phone will need to be examined at an authorized service centre. I'm afraid that I won't be able to answer if this will be covered by our warranty or not before a technician have examined your device.

Please get in contact with your Local support team and they will assist you further and answer any questions you have regarding warranty, local service routines.

@Sorell8122, As far as I know all authorized service centres performs a pressure test on your phone to make sure that it is still water resistant after the repair has been completed, however since service routines can vary between markets, I would recommend getting in touch with your Local support team since they are the experts on your market/region and are well informed on local service routines.

Keep me posted!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Adviser
Message 104 of 110
Message 104 of 110

Hello Jonas, I see you are part of the staff.

I have an XZ, which is water resistant. I opened a thread in the forum to explain my problem. I found this thread over here and I was shocked to see so many guys with screenshots with the same problem: a horizontal stripe with no touch. After all their stories, could you personally figure out the origin of all this? Mine was actually one minute under rain and after hours I noticed there was a stripe with no touch. But I wonder if it was a coincidence... Is it hardware, software, a problem common on XZ's? Why are all these boys with theses stripes? Mine is just on the same latitude as the MemoryCard door, so I wonder if any water could have come in. I wonder if it is going to dry up.

Seriously, It is water resistant and I had a problem at the first water drops on it?

It would mean a lot if you answer my question on here. Thanks in advance!!!

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 105 of 110
Message 105 of 110

That's a good question Fern! I'm considering a new phone to replace my Z5 and the XZ is on the wish list.

You know, as a matter of fact, I had to change my Z5 screen because it was malfunctioning after taking pictures on a swimming pool. At first, I thought it was water intrusion, but the tech guy told me there was no water or humidity inside the phone. Apparently, the water touch and interacting with the screen wreaked havoc on the board, touchscreen sensors or whatever it's called. I had used the phone before under the rain and a swimming pool too.. And it was perfect, really nice pictures. 

Adviser
Message 106 of 110
Message 106 of 110

Boy, The XZ is wonderful, except for this little problem we are all having. IDK if mine was caused by water, but some people over here have had the same problem without external damage. I had a Z1 and used to dive it into water and stayed with it for 5 years!

Sony Xperia Support
Message 107 of 110
Message 107 of 110

Hello everyone, I apologize for the late reply.

@FernTeruo, very sorry to hear about this.

It's very hard for me to say exactly what the cause of this is before a technician has had the chance to examine the device. However based on the previous posts in this thread, it does look like it is related to hardware as all users have had their displays replaced by the service centre and when the device has been returned to them it's working again!

In your case I would recommend that you get in touch with your Local support team so they can arrange a repair for you. They will also be able to answer any questions you may have regarding warranty, service routines and so forth as these may differ between markets.

I understand your situation, however from what I can see, no user has returned with the same behaviour after the display was replaced, so hopefully it won't occur again after your display has been replaced.

@CharlesJ, Did the service centre repair the device by changing the display or did they have change other components in the device?

Please keep me posted and once again, very sorry for the late reply.

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

One time poster
Message 108 of 110
Message 108 of 110

Xperia XZ Touchscreen Issues

Hi,

So my Xperia XZ has never been dropped or damaged in any way.

Since getting it, I've encountered the issue that my screen doesn't respond to a specific horizontal line just above the power button.

This is best demonstrated when I try to remove something like the clock from the home screen, and when I come to drag over that area, it recoils as if I have let go.

It isn't just in the UI however for the home screen, I have it in apps where it doesn't respond, including trying to select music playlists, or going to menus.

I have attempted the test which works fine, but the issues remain outside of the test. I've taken the device as well to my local provider, whom said it cannot be sent away, as even a minor scratch or blemish would 'void the warranty'. The provider did all the tests they could, and whilst they said the device was fine, the personnel there acknowledged that there is an issue.

I don't know what to do. I have attempted a software reset and all...

If anyone has had this, and may have found a solution that'd be great. As this can be really frustrating in using any of the phone's features.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 109 of 110
Message 109 of 110

Re: Xperia XZ Touchscreen Issues

Hi @Axendel1, very sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

Have you tried the test in the service menu of the device? That one is slightly more advanced than the standard test for the touch screen that you can find in Diagnostics.

If you haven't done this test, open up the phone application and type in *#*#7378423#*#* > Service tests > Touch > Free drawing test.

It does however sound like this is related to hardware and other users have also experienced this behaviour, but it was fixed when they got their screens replaced at an authorized service centre.

As for the reply you received from your provider, have you been in contact with your Local support team? They are the experts on your market and will be able to answer any questions that you may have regarding warranty, local service routines and consumer laws in your market. They can also assist you with having your device sent in to an authorized service centre.

I hope that helps!

One time poster
Message 110 of 110
Message 110 of 110

Re: Xperia XZ touch screen problem

Hello,

I'm having the same problem with my Xperia XZ and all started just after the software update.
I bought my phone in the UK a year ago, but I'm living in Brazil right now, so I can't use the warranty anymore =(

I already tried the software repair and even the local repair shop (that took 2 weeks only to look at software and nothing else) couldn't solve either.

It's really disappointing to know that all those Xperia's are having the same screen problem and it totally doesn't look like a coincidence.

I'll have to spend money in the screen replacement, but I'm not happy with this service that Sony is offering.
Why the company is not looking into a problem that has been occurring so often and wildly?