account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia XZ "heat rising, deactivating functions" pops up within 2 minutes of opening the camera! ??

Learner
Message 21 of 61
Message 21 of 61

Re: Xperia XZ "heat rising, deactivating functions" pops up within 2 minutes of opening th

i have a new xz phone why its always geting hot??
Learner
Message 22 of 61
Message 22 of 61

Re: Xperia XZ "heat rising, deactivating functions" pops up within 2 minutes of opening th

should i return my device?
Regular
Message 23 of 61
Message 23 of 61

Never had overheat problem before Nougat.

But now, even not for video recording but just camera taking pictures, 

with the camera on for few minutes it start to pop up "heat raising"

seconds later it pop up "some function disable".

all happen within 10mins of auto mode.

I appreciate Sony get Nougat update in XZ one of the first in market,

but with so much of system bugs? I rather not update it.

One time poster
Message 24 of 61
Message 24 of 61

When you shoot a video on XZ, the smartphone gets warm and the camera turns off

При съёмке видео на XZ смартфон греется и камера отключается

When you shoot a video on XZ, the smartphone gets warm and the camera turns off

GT

Rookie
Message 25 of 61
Message 25 of 61

Re: When you shoot a video on XZ, the smartphone gets warm and the camera turns off

overheating in video recording, even faster in 4k, overheating if using camera apps like additional effects (cca 3mins), short battery life, no mirror link support... i am pretty sure this is my last Sony mobile phone after so many years. 

Message 26 of 61
Message 26 of 61

Re: When you shoot a video on XZ, the smartphone gets warm and the camera turns off

After nougat update, the XZ seems to be laggy. 4K video recording shuts down after 3 to 5 minutes. Looks like XZ is bad in thermal management. 

Anyone knows if XZ Premium has addressed this bugbear? 

One time poster
Message 27 of 61
Message 27 of 61

I spoke with Sony's customer agent. After troubleshooting the usual items (reboot phone, reset phone etc), what remained was to do a Software Repair via the Xperia Companion software. I'm happy to report that after performing the Software Repair, my XZ is now able to shoot video for at least 5 minutes (based on the factory default settings, yet to try different settings). Prior to this fix, my videos ranged between 20 seconds and 2 minutes before the overheating warnings appeared. 
1. Back up your XZ. The Sofware Repair process wipes out all data and settings, like a factory reset.
2. Install the Xperia Companion in your computer (They have Win and Mac versions: http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperia-companion/)
3. Run Xperia Companion. (In Xperia Companion, there is a backup function. I don't know if it works well. I backed up my data manually by dragging every folder to my computer.)
4. Connect your XZ to the computer with a USB cable. On your XZ, select the USB option for transferring files.
5. On the Xperia Companion, select Software Repair.
6. Follow the instructions on the software. During the shutdown sequence, you will be asked to hold down the Volume Down key.
7. When you hold the Volume Down key as instructed, they don't tell you when exactly you can release the button. I released it once the Xperia Companion showed a different screen. Seems to work.
8. Wait for the software to do its thing and it will tell you when the process has ended. 
9. Power on the XZ if it doesn't automatically do it.
10. Restore your apps and data via the inital setup wizard/process.
This isn't the greatest way of solving the video overheating issue but at least it is a fix. I had to to the Software Repair twice; it failed the first time and I thought I bricked my XZ. But I repeated the Software Repair process and it worked well the second time.

I hope this will help you as much as it helped me.

One time poster
Message 28 of 61
Message 28 of 61

Screenshot_20170611-175732.pngExample of temperature rise

Very disappointed 😥 Stop 🛑 taking photos 🤳. 

Message 29 of 61
Message 29 of 61

Re: I've dropped my XZ a couple of times, now hot, slow and problem turning on.

I've now also noted that the battery is draining at a mervelous speed of 1% a ~ 2-3 min..

So battery is draining, gets hot, slow and laggy. A hardware issue I suppose? What is the problem and what can I do?

Learner
Message 30 of 61
Message 30 of 61

Quite an elaborate process... Any one else has success with the process.