account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

XZ high RAM consumption after last system update

Visitor
Message 1 of 38
Message 1 of 38

XZ high RAM consumption after last system update

My system update in about 2 weeks ago, and I found my phone performance much slower than before.

When I tried to find out the reason and discovered that more than 50% of RAM consumption goes to the Android system, which should not be like this before the upgrade.

Can Sony fix this problem ASAP as it brings a big impact to the normal performance to a smartphone?

I wish Sony can give some response about this issue.

37 REPLIES 37
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 38
Message 2 of 38

Re: XZ high RAM consumption after last system update

Hi @wilfredchung,

Do you experience the same issue while your phone is in safe mode?

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 3 of 38
Message 3 of 38

It's actually same RAM consumption by the Android system when I was running in safe mode.

Please kindly focus on the source of problem, because under the same installed third party apps and running the same apps before and after the system upgrade, I can feel the difference obviously. That's why I try to check out what's the reason making the phone suddenly perform so slow.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 38
Message 4 of 38

@wilfredchung,

I am simply following the troubleshooting process, and the first step of that is to eliminate any third party applications as factors. Regardless of what was installed on the phone previously, they can still cause impact after an update if they haven't been updated to match the new system.

However, because you are experiencing the same issue in safe mode, I recommend you perform a software repair using Xperia Companion

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 5 of 38
Message 5 of 38

Xperia XZ's system RAM consumption are high! Causing massive lag

Recently this happened to my XZ, and I believed that large numbers of us having this issue after the updates. Please take note that I already performed factory reset and software repair via Xperia Companion. Please do not repeat the advice for me to factory reset and perform software repair once more. I have enough and has to restart at least twice a day to get better performance. System's RAM usage took almost 2gb constantly. 

Please take note this issue. Even my Z4 LTE tablet after updating to Nougat works better than this brand new XZ. 

Sage
Message 6 of 38
Message 6 of 38

I am having the same issue...

it's been like this for a while and recently it has gotten so bad that i need to restart my XZ daily.

Android system begins growing in size during my daily usage and at the end of the day it has a memory usage so big that doesn't allow for 2 background services to be running...

After a normal restart the device goes back to normal for a while, but like i said, it doesn't last long.

This is terrible for a device that initially was able to destroy other flagships in real life performance (not benchmarks) and now, sometimes its laggier than my ancient Acro S.

Here are some pics of before restarting...

Screenshot_20170705-162847.pngScreenshot_20170705-163025.pngScreenshot_20170705-164213.png

and here after restarting (temporal solution...

Screenshot_20170705-163425.pngScreenshot_20170705-191116.png

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 38
Message 7 of 38

Same problem here after the last update. Maybe this would be my last Sony... 

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 38
Message 8 of 38

Re: Xperia XZ's system RAM consumption are high! Causing massive lag

Ditto! 

Talent
Message 9 of 38
Message 9 of 38

Yes agreed... Sony need to optimise software

One time poster
Message 10 of 38
Message 10 of 38

I have the same issue with my xz. Software repair does not solve the issue.