account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

XZ Lagging a lot

Adviser
Message 51 of 261
Message 51 of 261

Re: On the Xperia XZ lag, battery drain, etc...

@Kadman wrote:

Try to disable Lifelog. 

Settings > Apps > Lifelog > Disable

@Kadman

I've actually already disabled all the Sony & Google apps that I wasn't using, like Lifelog, News Suite (?), Sheets, Slides etc.. and deselected the auto-update in the store. The lags persist. I've done other diagnostics & confirmed that Sony XZ is not useable with Android 7.1.1. 

I've reached out to Sony on Facebook & they again replied with generic responses, asking me to do things I have done close to 10 times now in the past 2 months. They continue to insist that there's no way to downgrade, even though there are those like us who can't use the XZ properly on a regular basis. I'm guessing the staff that check/respond on Sony Facebook take turns, and don't read the previous thread. For instance, after I'd explained in detail how many resets/software repairs I'd done, I was told by a different service staff: 

"However, I would strongly advise to attempt a software repair as this can help rectify the issue you are facing as it will do a fresh install of the operating system back onto your handset."

It seems impossible to get through to anyone who knows what their doing. And I really don't see what's the issue. As easy as it was to roll out 7.1.1 in May, shouldn't it be just as easy to set up a 7.0 download for each region? If XZ users are having trouble with their devices, they'll just need to get the firmware from through Xperia Companion, and install it, preferably through XC as well. Why is this so difficult? 

Adviser
Message 52 of 261
Message 52 of 261

@Os88 wrote:

its my first bad experience with xperia , i am using xperia since xperia SL , then Z2 now unfortunately i am using Xperia XZ , its so laggy so slow Nougat 7 seems disgusting software , even i dont like the material of xz , color is started to be scratchy , so bad material and i am facing a lot of problems with my XZ 64 i did everything (factory Default ) now my phone has nothing ( no application , no data ) and also still laggy without any reasnable reason , Ram Usage is 2.7 from 3 without using anything what kind of software of that !!!!!!!! , it takes more Ram usage than windows of computers, please u must fix this, i am suffering using my phone , Marchamellow was much better than Nougat on xperia , you are repeating the same mistakes as( Jealy bean ) it was so bad software also , please tell me what to do i hate xz i am suffering while i am using it 

@Os88

Nougat 7.0 worked fine with the XZ - everything from Sony apps to third-party apps. It's only after the 7.1.1 update that things started falling apart. I brought up RAM usage with a Sony staff once when I just started having the lag problems, cuz sometimes my RAM would be 2.1 of 2.7, but they assured me that it was not the cause of the lag. 

It seems like Sony jumped the gun with rolling out 7.1.1 since only in April, Nougat 7.1.2 came out to bad reviews, and the Nougat 7.0 was still being rolled out by device makers around the same time. My device actually came with the 7.0 and worked fine until the 7.1.1 update, which messed it up so bad I was restarting once, sometimes twice, daily, and couldn't use apps like Whatsapp & Facebook, because they were third-party apps. Of course, I was also told that third-party app developers have yet to upgrade their versions to be compatible with the latest Android version. So why launch an update when your customers can't use their phones for anything? And then, when they have problems, don't help them resolve it? Oh, and even making a phone call became impossible because that would crash mid-call, defeating the purpose of the phone entirely. 

Commissioner
Message 53 of 261
Message 53 of 261

People, you need to install Marshmallow. It is a simple task. 

Not only is Nougat rubbish but Sony's implementation makes it even more rubbish, and the 3GB of RAM makes it more so. 3GB is sufficient for Marshmallow but not for Nougat. Every phone released now has 4GB minimum, some have 6GB and some 8GB. Stop stressing and hoping that SONY will fix this. Just reinstall Marshmallow. 

Inhabitant
Message 54 of 261
Message 54 of 261

@Sunking101 wrote:

People, you need to install Marshmallow. It is a simple task. 

Not only is Nougat rubbish but Sony's implementation makes it even more rubbish, and the 3GB of RAM makes it more so. 3GB is sufficient for Marshmallow but not for Nougat. Every phone released now has 4GB minimum, some have 6GB and some 8GB. Stop stressing and hoping that SONY will fix this. Just reinstall Marshmallow. 

okay how do we reinstall marshmallow without voiding warranty? There is no roll back options you know

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 55 of 261
Message 55 of 261

Interesting! I use a Sony Xperia Z5 with android version 7.1.1 just updated and is working very smooth!  I intend to buy a XZ Premium and i hope that it will be OK and smooth like this one...

Enthusiast
Message 56 of 261
Message 56 of 261

Sony must be aware of the XZ issues with 7.1.1 which would explain why Japan and USA have not yet received it... Hopefully the delay means a fix is in the works. Hopefully. 

Learner
Message 57 of 261
Message 57 of 261

In addition to all of these problems mentioned, when I try to switch between apps the system always reloads the apps no matter the app is. E.g. when I try to switch to the browser it always reload the page and I lose where I was etc. It happens almost all apps, I have only 3-4 third party app installed. Sony's flagship has disappointed me so  bad. A patch should come urgently. We can not use this phone with these problems, even my 4 years old Android 4 phone is more stable and faster than XZ, which is very very annoying. 

One time poster
Message 58 of 261
Message 58 of 261

Xperia XZ stuck a lot.

I used sony xperia Z2 before and I impressed to use it even there's problem quite a bit but I can accept it. After Z2 was broken I decided to bought xperia XZ and at the first time it so fast and smooth to use. That was just for a month then after update to Android Nougat 7.1 It failed. Because My XZ was very slow and stuck a lot. In my opinion it's reason from RAM 3 GB that not enough for Android Nougat 7.1 because it take resource very much from RAM and left a bit of RAM to run other process or sony might have not a good process to manage application. However I hope sony company will find out to solve this problem or should have better software to process application. Definitely we expect a good quality because the phone price is not cheap. This is the first bad experience with sony.

S_6399865035970.jpgS_6399865075643.jpg
As I attached pics of memory usage from my phone after restart. You will see that the phone take much resource from RAM and the phone didn't clear anything when we started such as Facebook app. If I use XZ for awhile it will take much more memory up to 2.5 GB and everything got stuck like I got a calling but I couldn't hang on because the screen will stop and no any respond or when I was sliding on home page screen it will stuck and stop.

I just need to tell you about my experience because I just bought it less than a year. I did factory reset for last week but It doesn't help anything. So hopefully the company will try to solve this problem other than try to develop the new series and let user buy the new one. 

Thank you

wch
Inhabitant
Message 59 of 261
Message 59 of 261

First thing, i login here to tell Sony, i am facing the same issue after Android 7.1

Second, don't tell me to restore my phone. Because it was sent to Sony centre for warranty. The phone was updated and formatted. It was empty phone.

Third, the latest update helps a bit, but performance still lose to Android 7 and before.

Forth, one of the culprits, the google assistance. I turned it off, performance is back, but not good as before.

Fifth, i found system won't release memory after a long time. This probably the main reason of lagging. Please check with it.

Inhabitant
Message 60 of 261
Message 60 of 261

@UglyD wrote:

Sony must be aware of the XZ issues with 7.1.1 which would explain why Japan and USA have not yet received it... Hopefully the delay means a fix is in the works. Hopefully. 

Interesting, thanks for this info. I'm angry we've still not heard an official notice from Sony yet.