account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

XZ Lagging a lot

Sony Xperia Support
Message 21 of 258
3,047 Views
Message 21 of 258

Re: XZ Lagging a lot

@KHashaBA & @jtklsn,

 

The safe mode suggestion is not made as a solution, but as a test to identify if a third party app is causing the issue. If the phone works correctly in safe mode and you do not experience the problem, then the cause will be third party apps. In such a situation, you will need to begin removing apps to identify the app or apps that are causing the lag.

 

If it is still doing the same thing in safe mode then you will need to perform a software repair using Xperia Companion.

 

We do not have an official way to downgrade the firmware.


Official Sony Xperia Support Staff


If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Adviser
Message 22 of 258
3,030 Views
Message 22 of 258

Re: XZ Lagging a lot



Hi Cameron, 

 

 


@CameronT wrote:

 

If it is still doing the same thing in safe mode then you will need to perform a software repair using Xperia Companion.

 


As mentioned earlier, I've since done 2 factory resets, 1 software repair (with XC) and lost count how many times I've reinstalled apps. None of these have resolved the issues with lag/crash. Now, I even need to restart my phone daily in order to get apps to work properly. It's honestly not how I imagined enjoying my XZ, especially after looking forward to it for months. 

 


@CameronT wrote:

@KHashaBA & @jtklsn,

 

The safe mode suggestion is not made as a solution, but as a test to identify if a third party app is causing the issue. If the phone works correctly in safe mode and you do not experience the problem, then the cause will be third party apps. In such a situation, you will need to begin removing apps to identify the app or apps that are causing the lag.

 


Third-party apps that are starting to crash/hang/lag on Android 7.1.1 have not done so on older Android versions. These are apps that I've been using on previous Sony Xperia devices (Z & Z3) with no issues. So third-party apps are clearly not the problem here. 

 


@CameronT wrote:

 

 

We do not have an official way to downgrade the firmware.


I've found this on a Sony website: https://developer.sonymobile.com/open-devices/flash-tool/ 

 

Would using this tool void my existing warranty on the device? 

Inhabitant
Message 23 of 258
3,017 Views
Message 23 of 258

Re: XZ Lagging a lot

This is disgusting. 

 

Sony get it together or at least and out formal notifications to advise your users of what action you're taking and time frame we have. I can't believe a software update has not been tested on your flagship, high performance phones! 

 

After rebooting my phone twice today, just so I could type normally, I opened this email to say more people have commented on this forum and I waited 17 seconds on a blank site screen. This week every day I've said "okay google" and waited just as long for voice recognition to commence.... Other times it just didn't even work. 

 

Bluetooth fails and turns itself off, sometimes I press the home button on the screen and it stays lit up as if pressed for about 7 seconds before the home screen shows up. 

 

I am not factory resetting my phone again!!!! IT HAS MADE NO DIFFERENCE. 

 

I am furious. It's as fast as my 2010 HTC windows phone. Google music can't play half my songs anymore. It's getting worse. 

 

Sometimes taking photos actually hasn't taken the photo

Commissioner
Message 24 of 258
3,012 Views
Message 24 of 258

Re: XZ Lagging a lot


@fluffygutss wrote:

This is disgusting. 

 

Sony get it together or at least and out formal notifications to advise your users of what action you're taking and time frame we have. I can't believe a software update has not been tested on your flagship, high performance phones! 

 

After rebooting my phone twice today, just so I could type normally, I opened this email to say more people have commented on this forum and I waited 17 seconds on a blank site screen. This week every day I've said "okay google" and waited just as long for voice recognition to commence.... Other times it just didn't even work. 

 

Bluetooth fails and turns itself off, sometimes I press the home button on the screen and it stays lit up as if pressed for about 7 seconds before the home screen shows up. 

 

I am not factory resetting my phone again!!!! IT HAS MADE NO DIFFERENCE. 

 

I am furious. It's as fast as my 2010 HTC windows phone. Google music can't play half my songs anymore. It's getting worse. 

 

Sometimes taking photos actually hasn't taken the photo


Clear cache in settings/storage & memory/ advanced (top right 3 dots)/storage/internal storage/cached data.

Then press the power button and volume up key simultaneously until the phone vibrates three times. Now reboot and see if there is any improvement.

Adviser
Message 25 of 258
3,003 Views
Message 25 of 258

Re: XZ Lagging a lot


@Sunking101 wrote:

 

Clear cache in settings/storage & memory/ advanced (top right 3 dots)/storage/internal storage/cached data.

 

Then press the power button and volume up key simultaneously until the phone vibrates three times. Now reboot and see if there is any improvement.



I've cleared cache regularly but this does not improve the lag/resolve it. Furthermore, having to restart the phone daily just to use it is completely inefficient. With 64GB of internal memory (or 50 GB after nearly 14GB of firmware installed), I don't believe cache is an issue and daily rebooting/restarting the device is not a solution. 

 

Having tried factory resets & software repairs & uninstalling apps/safe modes just to get the phone to work, I strongly feel that the solution is in a downgrade of the Android version, until Sony can fix these problems with the next Android update (that's been launched by Google on 5 June, but has yet to arrive to our devices.) If the upgrade can fix these issues, then a downgrade wouldn't be necessary. But until then, an official downgrade by Sony would at least allow users to use their devices with their warranty still valid. 

Regular
Message 26 of 258
2,991 Views
Message 26 of 258

Re: XZ Lagging a lot

hate to say it, but it likely *is* a third party app that is dragging down your device. my XZ behaved the same way until I figured out which one was giving me grief. now I just refrain from ever launching it so its services, the real culprits, stay dormant.

 

Android 7.x has made it more difficult IMO to track these apps down, as process monitoring (by 3rd party apps) has become severly restricted. Unless one is rooted of course.

 

If you enable developer mode on your XZ, you can get a rough idea of at least which processes & services are running.

 

Now I have to go deal with my current gripe with the XZ, getting the lastest update installed. :p

Sony Xperia Support
Message 27 of 258
2,977 Views
Message 27 of 258

Re: XZ Lagging a lot

@jtklsn,

 

After you did the software repair, did you re-install any apps or did you test it with nothing else on there? If it works with no other apps, again, it is likely third party apps.
If it was still laggy even after the software repair and no other apps installed, I recommend to contact your Local support team to arrange an assessment.


It is possible that the third party apps you are using that cause the issue have not been updated for functionality with Android 7.1.1. This is up to the developers of the app to rectify as Sony Mobile has no input into the development of third party apps. I recommend you contact the application developers from the store page if you can identify the application causing the issue.

 

Unlocking the boot loader is a way to install a different ROM on your phone, but it does void your warranty. I personally advise against it. We can't provide you support for a device if something goes wrong during this process so please be careful.

 

@eelpout,

Out of curiosity, what was the app that was causing the issue for you?


Official Sony Xperia Support Staff


If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 28 of 258
2,965 Views
Message 28 of 258

Re: XZ Lagging a lot

Exact Santee problem.. Lagging alot.. Unbearably slow.. The caller ID takes for ever to show up and I have to keep restarting... Very very disappointed

 

Adviser
Message 29 of 258
2,945 Views
Message 29 of 258

Re: XZ Lagging a lot


@CameronT wrote:

@jtklsn,

 

After you did the software repair, did you re-install any apps or did you test it with nothing else on there? If it works with no other apps, again, it is likely third party apps.
If it was still laggy even after the software repair and no other apps installed, I recommend to contact your Local support team to arrange an assessment.

 


@CameronT

One of the apps was Facebook, which came as a system app when I got the  XZ. 

 


@CameronT wrote:

@jtklsn,

 


It is possible that the third party apps you are using that cause the issue have not been updated for functionality with Android 7.1.1. This is up to the developers of the app to rectify as Sony Mobile has no input into the development of third party apps. I recommend you contact the application developers from the store page if you can identify the application causing the issue.

 


After the software repair I didn't reinstall any apps for a week, except for WhatsApp, which was the first app to start crashing a few times a day after the update. I finally got hold of WhatsApp support who told me that my chat database was corrupted (I take it now due to the update?) n was told to reinstall without backup. I've been using WhatsApp for years, n with each new Sony fone (I'm a huge Sony fan despite the recent issues), I've always been able to bring over the chats. No problems at all, until the latest update. 

 

Facebook soon followed with crashing, and now Pokemon Go. If the app developers are not able to update in time for a new Android/Sony update, shouldn't there be an option to users to roll back if they are experiencing problems? 

 


@eelpout wrote:

hate to say it, but it likely *is* a third party app that is dragging down your device. my XZ behaved the same way until I figured out which one was giving me grief. now I just refrain from ever launching it so its services, the real culprits, stay dormant.

 


@eelpout

Third-party apps that are starting to crash/hang/lag on Android 7.1.1 have not done so on older Android versions. And it started with WhatsApp & Facebook. How'd you refrain from ever launching these? 

 


@eelpout wrote:

 

 

Now I have to go deal with my current gripe with the XZ, getting the lastest update installed. :p


What update did you get? 

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 30 of 258
2,931 Views
Message 30 of 258

Re: XZ Lagging a lot

How can this be an app issue when there's already been a few of us confirm the issue persists after a factory reset? 

 

I can't record videos anymore, they record choppy. I can play any games as they chug video. Graphics rendering is locking up and I have lag typing!!! This message alone has been the worst and most painful experience ever, having to fix every word because it Lags when typing. Restarting twice a day makes no difference, we need to be able to down grade! At the very least. How do I get support from Australia when I bought this in Singapore airport Sony store