account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

VoLTE

Highlighted
Regular
Message 1 of 33
Message 1 of 33

VoLTE

Will the XZ support VoLTE on T-Mobile? I understand that Sony had to go through the certification process with T-Mobile but if HTC and other OEMs can do it why can't Sony?
I
32 REPLIES 32
Emperor
Message 2 of 33
Message 2 of 33

Re: VoLTE

This is something that the network has to enable, in other words, it won't work with unlocked devices

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Regular
Message 3 of 33
Message 3 of 33

No it is not. There are several unlocked devices on the market that support VoLTE on T-Mobile. A device maker has to certify the VoLTE function of the phone with T-Mobile.
Regular
Message 4 of 33
Message 4 of 33

http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compatible-phones

As you can see on the attached list there are several unlocked devices which support VoLTE on T-Mobile USA.
Emperor
Message 5 of 33
Message 5 of 33

Again, it is up to T-mobile NOT Sony. 

on your link

However band support is not the only requirement.

on the link of your link

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/t-mobile-all-band-12-lte-devices-our-network-must-support-vol...

"Every OEM has the option to support VoLTE and E911 or not," T-Mobile said. "It's their decision, though obviously, we hope that every OEM will choose to support these features and get certified on our network."

It'll be wise to check T-mobile's official forum 

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/95578?tstart=0

Your Xperia DOES support VoLTE, BUT it is not supported by your carrier. If T-mobile doesn't carry this device, it's unlikely that they will invest time and money on customizing an update that will enable this. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Regular
Message 6 of 33
Message 6 of 33

It is all up to Sony and not T-Mobile. Sony doesn't want to spend any money on getting the XZ certified to work on T-Mobile.
You even posted thay in your links.
Emperor
Message 7 of 33
Message 7 of 33

You can use the search bar above, there is info on how the updates are released, once Sony or any OEM finish an update > it has to be approved by region/country > for VoLTE it has to be test it > customized > approved by the carrier network, you should post this on the T-mobile forum, perhaps someone from T-mobile staff can give you an official statement on this. 

Emperor
Message 8 of 33
Regular
Message 9 of 33
Message 9 of 33

Bingo, like you said it has to be tested and approved but Sony doesn't want to pay for testing and approval. VoLTE stands are not the same in every country because the global standard has not been set. Even if a phone is VoLTE ready it doesn't mean that it will work fine on all networks.
Emperor
Message 10 of 33
Message 10 of 33

You took it out of context, this testing is on the carrier/network, post on their forum and/or contact them.