account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Vibrate every time there is text! Annoying AF.

SOLVED
Learner
Message 1 of 13
Message 1 of 13

Vibrate every time there is text! Annoying AF.

So… after I updated my phone to the latest version of Android coming from Sony. You people at Sony thought that vibration should be a default function, and it's a must have whenever we received a text message, which you people also not giving any option for us users to disable that? WTH, Sony? Why would you do that? You know how annoying that is? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 11 of 13
Message 11 of 13

Re: Vibrate every time there is text! Annoying AF.

Hi @ChaseYu, you're close! Tap Messages as shown in your screenshot here:
messages.png

Once you press Messages, you'll see an option for "Vibrate", with a toggle for off and on. I hope that helps! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

12 REPLIES 12
Emperor
Message 2 of 13
Message 2 of 13

@ChaseYu

When you open the messaging app > menu > settings > notifications > what do you see?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 3 of 13
Message 3 of 13

From the *Settings* , under the  *App & notifications*, rather it is *App info* or *configure notifications*, there's no option(s) to disable the vibration for text message receiving, as well as the text message App itself. I've already checked almost every Settings that I can reach in my phone, and I don't see anything option(s) to disable the vibration whenever a text message came in! 

Emperor
Message 4 of 13
Message 4 of 13

@ChaseYu

I'll escalate this, in the mean time, use this app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging&hl=en

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 5 of 13
Message 5 of 13

@uliwooly wrote:

@ChaseYu

I'll escalate this, in the mean time, use this app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging&hl=en

Thanks for the App suggestion, but I think I'll pass this time as I already I got tons of Google apps in my phone. And I kind of hated it( that I more and more sunken into the Google hole, everything is Google, and I even got a home mini!). 

Anyway, it is Sony's fault that their text message App doesn't have a option to disable the vibration! (or why even put that into the update on Android 8.0 ?)

Emperor
Message 6 of 13
Message 6 of 13

@ChaseYu

I got the heads up, and it is there

Settings > Apps & notifications > Messaging > App Notifications > Messages > Vibrate > off

Learner
Message 7 of 13
Message 7 of 13

@uliwooly wrote:

@ChaseYu

I got the heads up, and it is there

Settings > Apps & notifications > Messaging > App Notifications > Messages > Vibrate > off

Screenshot_20171211-161948.pngAnd this is the message app notifications configuration.

That's weird! You might have to show me some screenshots of this. Cause under the Android version 8.0.0 on my xperia XZ, I cannot find that option. From Settings> App & notifications > ( there isn't messaging ) Screenshot_20171211-161535.pngThis is what I got, but nothing like you mentioned.

And as I already mentioned, from app info to configuration notifications to default App, there isn't a way to turn it off. And if I go to app info and tap on the message app, there's also no such option too  

Highlighted
Emperor
Message 8 of 13
Message 8 of 13

@ChaseYu

on your first screenshot, do you see it says Messaging at the top then 

On

Allow notification dot   

Categories 

Miscellaneous

Learner
Message 9 of 13
Message 9 of 13

@uliwooly wrote:

@ChaseYu

on your first screenshot, do you see it says Messaging at the top then 

On

Allow notification dot   

Categories 

Miscellaneous

Do you mean *make sound and pop on screen* ? Well, I don't mind the sound or pop on screen, it is the vibration that I don't want. It is like a double feature notifications for the text message ever since the Android 8.0 update. It make sound and vibrate the phone for every text that I receive which is pretty annoying. And as you can see it from my first screenshots ( which it should be my second, but mistakenly show up in first), that I even turn off the miscellaneous

Visitor
Message 10 of 13
Message 10 of 13

Select the Messages: Make sound and pop on screen to get into the next menu.

9b.jpg

Below Importance and Sound is Vibrate with a On/Off switch.

The vibrate option only appears when the Importance is set to Urgent or High.

8b.jpg