account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

USB charger port damage

Visitor
Message 1 of 35
Message 1 of 35

USB charger port damage

My three week old XZ appears to have developed a problem with the USB charger port and I'm wondering if anyone else has found the same issue (as I know it was a widespread problem in previous models). 

I went to plug it in last night to charge and the USB wouldn't click into place and it feels as though something is blocking the far end of the port so the the USB won't go all the way in. I'm resigned to sending it in for repair, and being the cynical soul that I am, I'm further resigned to being told that the damage is due to user error even though I can swear that the phone hasn't been dropped, abused or anything that should conceivably lead to mechanical damage. 

I'm now considering whether to take it back to the shop I purchased it from (carphone warehouse who don't have the best reputation for their repair service), or to send it directly to Sony for repair. 

Any thoughts, advice, similar experiences would be gratefully received.

34 REPLIES 34
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 35
Message 2 of 35

Re: USB charger port damage

Hi @soozibags, I am sorry to hear about what has happened. Slightly frowning Face

Have you tried looking inside the port under strong light to see if there anything blocking it? Also, try blowing hard or using a toothbrush to try to see if you can clear the port free from dust or other materials which may be stuck.

I strongly recommend that you get in touch with your Local support in order to have your device sent to an authorized service center. I advise that you refrain from trying to repair it yourself by sticking something inside the port with force, thus risking that the device gets damaged further.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 3 of 35
Message 3 of 35

Thanks for the reply, I've had a look and can't see anything obvious and have also tried blowing to no avail. If I can find a soft brush I'll give that a try as well before taking it for repair. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 35
Message 4 of 35

I see, that sounds like a good plan. You could also try a wooden toothpick if you don't have a clean and soft brush.

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Regular
Message 5 of 35
Message 5 of 35

In the week that I have had this phone one thing I noticed is that it was not easy to attach and detatch the USB C cable. It has me worried ( now you mention it ) that one day I will break it.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 35
Message 6 of 35

Hi @shueardm,

My recommendation is that you don't pull the cable itself, but rather take a firm grip on the end of the cable (right next to where you connect it) when you try to disconnect it. I also recommend that you don't remove the cable in an angle, since this could bend the pins. Try to be careful, that should minimize the risk of the cable and/or port breaking.

Message 7 of 35
Message 7 of 35

Of course, if CPW was the retailer..
You have 28 days to exchange on faulty devices.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Message 8 of 35
Message 8 of 35

Same problem,

And it never happend to me with another phone I had. Two different Sony and Two problems in less of one year.

But now, my main problem is that it is impossible to use the mail contact which Sony proprose on the web site.

Please, ask someone of the customer care in Switzerland to get in touch with me as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 35
Message 9 of 35

I'm so sorry to hear that @Claudio111111. Slightly frowning Face

You can get in touch with your Swiss support team by emailing questions.ch@support.sonymobile.com. Let me know once you sent an email and I'll see if it reached us for you! Slightly smiling Face

Edit; I can see that you got in touch with them, do you still require my assistance? If so, please let me know and I'll be glad to. Slightly smiling Face

Message 10 of 35
Message 10 of 35

Hi,

Thank you for your support. I got in touch with the technical support. 

Unfortunatly they don't want to give me the contact of the customer relation service.

For me the problem is not only a technical problem. After two problem with two different Sony phone in less than one year, I was hopping they can make an effort supporting me during the time my phone will be repair. I need to have a phone for my job, and I was just asking for a replacement or any other solution.

As I told them, if I had to buy another phone just to can send them to repair, It will not be a Sony. Sorry but I'm sure you will understand that. I had many different phone in my life, and I never had any problem. Two Sony in less than one year and two problem.

Hopping I will not be an ex-new customers for Sony.

Claudio Battista