account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Touchscreen going crazy

Visitor
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Touchscreen going crazy

All of sudden my xz start scrolling screens, starting programs and running apps without me trying. This has been happening for a few days now. If I remove Sim cards it is OK. 

6 REPLIES 6
Emperor
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Touchscreen going crazy

@Hayappus 

You should boot in safe mode perhaps it's a third party app acting up whenever you have data/internet

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Hi @Hayappus, I am sorry to hear about this.

As @uliwooly mentioned, it is a good idea to try to reboot you phone to safe mode in order to see if the behavior persists there. You should also try removing any protective case, screen protection film or cover to verify it's not interfering with the touchscreen.

You can also test the functionality of the touchscreen in using the hardware tests in the Support app. In order to do this, find and tap Settings > System > About phone > Diagnostics > Xperia tests > Touchscreen.

You mentioned that the touchscreen works fine when the SIM card is removed, can you try putting in another SIM card in order to see if the touchscreen behaves differently? If it works better with a different SIM card, your SIM card may be damaged and in need of replacement.

If none of these measures manages to improve the functionality of the touch screen, I suggest that you try to perform a software repair using a computer and Xperia Companion. Please note though that a software repair will erase all user data, so remember to do a backup of your user data first. 

Try these measures and let me know how it goes! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

Hi Martin et al,

First of all thank you all for the feedbacks on how to resolve the issue. For the past more than 1 week I have tried multiple trial and error methods to identify and eliminate the problem. The following are the trials and the results:

1. Factory reset and inserted original 2 sim cards & downloaded all application and data from google backup and later removed all unused applications and data - After about 24hrs the problem reappeared. I had to switch OFF the phone to bring the phone under control. The screen even keyed in phone number and dialed.

2. After a few hours factory reset and inserted 1 original sim card & downloaded all application and data from google and later removed all unused applications and data - After about 24hrs the problem reappeared. I recall in both the incidents (1 & 2) happened in the afternoon after 1pm and before 4pm. The first ever incident  a day earlier it also happened around the same time.

I tested the functionality of the touchscreen and it passed.

3. Factory reset and inserted 1 original sim card & downloaded all application and data from google and later removed all unused applications and data. Removed quickly the sim card once all application and data downloaded. The phone was used for whatsapp only with wifi. The phone was stable throughout the test period for 4 days.

4. Following successful step 3, inserted a sim card which was never used on the phone. No second sim card was inserted. The phone was stable throughout test period of about 2 days.

5. Following successful step 4, reinserted 1 original sim card while the sim card in step 4 was kept in the phone. It was good for about day but the next day when I typed the password the screen went crazy for a few fast steps and stabilised quickly (previously it went out of control till I switched OFF the phone). I kept using the phone as usual. Then after about a day the same happened and also stabilised quickly. For the pass 2 days no incidents. 

What I relised was that during the period the whole thing happened, the surrounding air was relatively dry and the seat/chair I was using usually generate static electricity ( I am an electrical engineer hence I understand static electricity). The past few days the temperature has been cooler and humidity has been relatily higher and static activity has gone down.

I kept using the leather casing (KRUSELL) I had bought online throughout the test and still using it.

My next step will be to remove the sim card that went in for the 1st time into the phone and replace with the other original sim card and see what happens while observing the environment. 

For now I can only guess that the static electricity or corrupted operating software could have been cause of the instability. If you think there are other possibilities please feedback to be tried.

I would like to do software repair but I failed to do it here in Kazakhstan - can't initiate or download kit from email. I will try it in Malaysia when I return if the problem persist.

Will keep you posted.

Thank you Hayappus

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Hi again @Hayappus and thank you for your reply and your extensive troubleshooting!

It sounds strange that you are not able to download Xperia Companion in Kazakhstan, Does the same thing occur if you download the program using this link?

Try downloading the program again and get back to me if it does not work.

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

One time poster
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with my #XZ

Only way to stop the crazy flickering  is to turn the unit off.

Sometimes it works again for a while, sometimes it goes crazy even after a restart.

I have tried to use with and without casing, but it gives the same problem.

I agree with @Hayappus - I also suspect some sort of static electricity making the touch screen go crazy. 

Very annoying...

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

Hi @Tomboj, I am sorry to hear about this.

Have you tried the troubleshooting that I mentioned in my first reply to @Hayappus? and if so, did the software repair manage to improve the functionality of the touch screen?