account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Screen goes black when make a call

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 27
Message 1 of 27

Hello,I have the new XZ model and since last week I have strange problem with the display when making a call. The display goes black and nothing can. make it active, I even cannot close the ringing until the operator stops or something suddenly happens. It happens from time to time. I don't have protector to think this can make that problem. I checked the proximity sensor and it works. The version of the android is the last 7.0. I appreciate your help.

26 REPLIES 26
Emperor
Message 2 of 27
Message 2 of 27

Re: Screen goes black when make a call

@maxivp19

Test the device in >>> safe mode

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 27
Message 3 of 27

Hi @maxivp19,

Welcome to the community,

I am sorry to hear about this, how often does this issue occur and did this happen when running on 6.0?

This is likely related to third party software, so booting to Safe Mode as suggest will help determine this for you.

Let us know.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Apprentice
Message 4 of 27
Message 4 of 27

OK, Thanks. I will try it for few days.

Apprentice
Message 5 of 27
Message 5 of 27

Hi, unfortunately I do not have any long experience with Android 6.0 because very soon after having XZ phone I was proposed to update and within next week I did it to 7.0 version

I will try safe mode.

Thanks

Learner
Message 6 of 27
Message 6 of 27

hi there

i have experia xz model F8332  .. android 7

the screen go black when making a call sometime and after mintue it came to normal but cannot make any call until restart the phone

i found some soulation on the web that i should clear system cash by rebooting using power + volume up and home buttoun but never work

any help here

regards

sami

Emperor
Message 7 of 27
Message 7 of 27

@sami19771

Settings > about phone > diagnostics > test > test the proximity sensor 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 27
Message 8 of 27

Hi @sami19771,

I'm sorry to hear about that. Slightly frowning Face

For how long have you been experiencing this behaviour? Did it occur after you updated your phone or installed a new application?

There is a sensor on your phone called proximity sensor that will turn the screen off when it's covered by for example, your ear when you are making a call or answering an incoming call.

The sensor is placed just to the right of the Sony logo at the top of your screen, is this covered by a screen protector or is there any dust on it? If there is no screen protector covering the sensor, try wiping at the sensor with a clean cloth and place a call.

I would also recommend testing the sensor in the diagnostics test in the phone that @uliwooly recommended. The phone should not vibrate directly when you start the test, only when you cover the sensor with your finger or if you place the phone with the front down towards a for example, a table.

Let us know how it went! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 9 of 27
Message 9 of 27

the option of testing proximity sensor is not there

only light sensor , ear proxmility , accelerometer, gyroscope

Learner
Message 10 of 27
Message 10 of 27

I'm sorry to hear about that.

Thank you

For how long have you been experiencing this behaviour? Did it occur after you updated your phone or installed a new application?

last few day and the update happned longtime back ... i do install application from time to time but all from the store known sorcues

There is a sensor on your phone called proximity sensor that will turn the screen off when it's covered by for example, your ear when you are making a call or answering an incoming call.

The sensor is placed just to the right of the Sony logo at the top of your screen, is this covered by a screen protector or is there any dust on it? If there is no screen protector covering the sensor, try wiping at the sensor with a clean cloth and place a call.

I would also recommend testing the sensor in the diagnostics test in the phone that @uliwooly recommended. The phone should not vibrate directly when you start the test, only when you cover the sensor with your finger or if you place the phone with the front down towards a for example, a table.

this happen even in the car when connected nothing block the sensor and not protection sheet as well

Let us know how it went!