account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

October security patch (41.2.A.7.76) what we know so far

Adviser
Message 1 of 27
Message 1 of 27

October security patch (41.2.A.7.76) what we know so far

I have Received October Security Patch on my Xperia XZ Dual sim. I have just installed it and there doesn't seem to be any change other than the security patch. 

I will keep updating this question here with the new info like the previous month.

* update 1, after a day of usage,

I noticed the phone was blazing fast after the update. As fast and lag free that I haven't seen it before, buttery smooth. so after a day, that smoothness has somewhat dialled down a little but it's not laggy at all yet like it was before the update when it was on September patch. The system uses about 800 to 1000 MB of ram I have checked many times. overall more ram is free all the time than before.

Battery performance is also good, just like the first day after the last update it was good. so after 18 hours of standby and 90 minutes of screen on time. Bluetooth constantly on pushing notifications to my smartwatch. I have got about 57 percent battery left. that's pretty good. SOT included some camera usage a few videos on youtube and about an hour of picture viewing from the gallery. Hope this info proves helpful to someone. I would still recommend others to stay on August patch till I have had a week with this performance with consistency.

*update 2 after about 2 - 3 days usage, On first charge phone lasted about 40 hours with 3.5 hours of random SOT, on 2nd full charge phone lasted about 27 hours with 3.5 hours of random sot Phone idle is the top battery consumer. I don't play games at all. and now the phone is a little sluggish and laggy as well. it was buttery smooth after the update. so as expected battery drain might still be there but not as severe. I will have to spend a week with it to fully declare how the phone is performing. I still recommend please stay on August security patch. 

*Update 3 after about 3 weeks of usage.

Phone is more fluid than before. but battery drain is still there. not as swere but its there. like earlier it would last 10 hours of back up with 1-2 hours of SOT. now it lasts about 25 hours with 1-2 hours of SOT. its still bad but not as bad as it was. Camera still hangs due to over heating. I have kept these apps disabled permanently: google assistant, Ok google detection, Life log, Media creator. I would still recommend staying on August patch but this patch is also workable if someone updates.

Please report back with your experiences.

26 REPLIES 26
Talent
Message 2 of 27
Message 2 of 27

Re: October security patch (41.2.A.7.76) what we know so far

Yeah got the update as will... Not sure if anything is fixed.. 

Sony is just so busy doing i don't know what.. so many patches.. i wish even if they would've sorted one issues per update.. We would've had a flagship phone with us..

Adept
Message 3 of 27
Message 3 of 27

I hope it will fix the lag 

Talent
Message 4 of 27
Message 4 of 27

There is hardly any lag after August patch

Adviser
Message 5 of 27
Message 5 of 27

there was a lot of lag after the September patch, thats why I recommended everyone to stay on August patch. i have had a day with the phone on October patch, and going to update the answer now.

Adept
Message 6 of 27
Message 6 of 27

thanks  for the intel, now sony gimme the october patch please 

Talent
Message 7 of 27
Message 7 of 27

I got both September n October patch in a gap of one day.. So couldn't evaluate the September patch

Commissioner
Message 8 of 27
Message 8 of 27

September 

@toxian wrote:

thanks  for the intel, now sony gimme the october patch please 

September patch was good, I don't understand why other users find battery degradation, when I noticed 25%better battery life. Apps responded faster, reduced RAM  use. I just installed the 100 MB October patch, so far have not noticed anything abnormal.. Well see later how it goes. 

Adept
Message 9 of 27
Message 9 of 27

my phone is laggy pretty much since day one so I don't know it 's common issues ? should I wait for an oreo update or get a replacement ? 

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 27
Message 10 of 27

I believe August patch was the best in terms of performance and stability. September patch had a lot of lagging issues. October seems to be better than September but the phone occasionally lags. Also battery life is not good in the October patch. As well, android system uses about 1.2 to 1.5 gigs of ram which is pathetic for a 3 gigs handset