account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

No MHL?

One time poster
Message 1 of 20
Message 1 of 20

No MHL?

White Papers says that there is no MHL?

Is AndroidAuto supported?

For example XAV-AX100?

19 REPLIES 19
Sage
Message 2 of 20
Message 2 of 20

Re: NO MHL?

Really hope this is not true, cause they have been taking features Out since my Z3C...

no PS3 controller compatibility

no eyelet for landyard

no alternative charging port (or wireless option)

no Small Apps

no 4K in most of the new line

no fingerprint reader (in the US)

So I really hope they keep at least some sort of Video Out through USB Type-C

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 20
Message 3 of 20

Re: No MHL?

Hi @Sash2,

Based on the information I have available MHL is not supported.

When it comes to Android Auto its website states that it requires a device running Android 5.0 or later. However, availability can also depend on country/region.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Commissioner
Message 4 of 20
Message 4 of 20

Sony has dropped MHL since Xperia X series launch. It goes together with Sony TVs.Bravia 2016 series dropped HDMI MHL input too

Sage
Message 5 of 20
Message 5 of 20

I really don't mind having Mhl or not... But I would love to have a TV output feature... Not necessarily MHL...
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 6 of 20
Message 6 of 20

Missing MHL support hurts, no doubt.

Perhaps it's healthy to notice that Chromecast will be upgraded to 4k streaming and that the Xperia X devices are ready to go.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/google-chromecast-4k-release-date-news-rumours-features

BTW: At anytime you can mirror all the contents of your screen via chromecast. You even have that shortcut button right in your notification center.

Sage
Message 7 of 20
Message 7 of 20

That is all great but wireless is not always the best way to go...

I used to take my phone on the go with my MHL adapter and use it to give a quick PowerPoint presentation... 

Simply plugging into a projector, TV, monitor, allowed me to quickly display content. Now I need to have a reliable WiFi connection inbetween which is not available everywhere or the speed is not ideal, specially in working enviorments with many people.

Anyway, I think this is another one of the "we'll have to get used to" things... 

I know I am not an average smartphone user... but I really wish I had the option over those recently dropped features 

Adviser
Message 8 of 20
Message 8 of 20

XZ MHL SUPPORT

Today i have found my brand new XZ doesn't recognize video out through mhl connection.... I have to admit that mhl is one of the features that i need more from a mobile device... I find really dissapointing the lack of this feature on the XZ.

Is it going to be possible to see mhl support on the new XZ in next software updates???

Forum Legend
Message 9 of 20
Message 9 of 20

Re: XZ MHL SUPPORT

I agree mhl is very useful, but it has been dripped since the launch of x series. Most of the other phone manufacturers has dropped this too. And i think that it is hardware based so a software update won't be able to bring it back..

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling
Sage
Message 10 of 20
Message 10 of 20

Re: XZ MHL SUPPORT

Snapdragon 820 supports HDMI 2.0 whereas 810 was at HDMI 1.4. It could go up to 4K at 60 fps.

Here is the link to Qualcomm white paper: https://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/files/snapdragon-820-processor-product-brief.pdf

They simply ditched MHL, but it would have been like a super home theater stuffed in a phone.

Probably most companies would like to sell to everyone a phone, an Apple TV/Chromecast, a tablet, a TV and a personal computer.

Globalization RULEZ Slightly frowning Face