account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

No FM radio?

SOLVED
Visitor
Message 41 of 70
Message 41 of 70

Re: No FM radio?

@Christofer wrote:

@aad14 I understand your situation. I still appreciate your feedback and I have forwarded it all as user feedback.

Yes Please let people responsible for this decision know this. This step to remove FM has made many of their potential customer go away.

One time poster
Message 42 of 70
Message 42 of 70

I have the phone and there is no FM radio. I listen to radio 5 hours every day and now i have to stream it leaving me with less than 50% power for the rest of the day.... One of the reasons i upgraded was the dying battery of my almost 2 year old Z3.... Hope there is a fix for this!!!
One time poster
Message 43 of 70
Message 43 of 70

I won't be buying any new Sony phones until the FM gets reintroduced I will wait until the Z5 premium breaks then look for another make of phone. I listen to FM alot don't always have data to stream when I'm out & about.
Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 44 of 70
Message 44 of 70

Re: Where has the FM radio gone on my ZX!

It has nothing to do with that unfortunately. The SD820 has an integrated FM-chip (both the Snapdragon S7 and the G5 do have FM radio) but Sony chose to ground the antenna pin and remove it themselves to make sure that its users will NEVER have functioning FM radio again.

Anyways, I'm glad to see that really a lot of people (not only on this forum) don't accept this and therefore don't buy it, only because of the absence of the FM radio (that Sony removed themselves as the SD820 supported it..). I think that they really underestimated the number of people that find this a dealbreaker and don't buy it. I hope that they will take notes and just add it on future models again...

@DRubio wrote:

It seems could be because of an issue between radio fm and google now...

http://www.xperiablog.net/2016/04/14/fm-radio-added-to-latest-concept-marshmallow-firmware-mmb29v-z1...

I would preffer to trash all the google stuff and recover my fm radio app

Veteran
Message 45 of 70
Message 45 of 70

Re: Where has the FM radio gone on my ZX!

I hoped they will add it on Nugat, but no Slightly frowning Face

Learner
Message 46 of 70
Message 46 of 70

Hi Christofer,

You can forward my feedback also:

Aside from the fact that an FM radio tuner is a useful and data-free source of media, for anyone who lives in a place where earthquakes or similar destructive events occur, it is also a valuable safety device. These events cause immense congestion and/or disruption to mobile telecommunications networks (plus power, water, etc.) and can (and do) put them out of action. In such circumstances, radio broadcasts are a necessity for Civil Defence information. A phone with a radio could be the only means of receiving them.

Partially for this reason (I live in New Zealand - not called 'The Shaky Isles' for nothing - 7.8 quake last month) I have had several Sony top end phones and upgrade them with newer models because they alone have had the primary features I want: water resistance, good camera, good media players and above all, the FM radio. Other phones have water resistance now and other phones have FM radios among the other features I prefer, but it seems Sony were the only manufacturer making premium phones with all of them, at least until now.

However, since Sony will no longer offer their premium phones with an FM radio, they will no longer interest me, and in doing so, Sony will lose another once-loyal consumer (so it appears by reading this forum, and others). I have friends and colleagues who feel the same way, though I doubt any of them will bother supplying feedback to Sony - they, like me, will probably just purchase something else.

It seems inexplicable that Sony would deliberately disable a feature on their phones that many users obviously consider a critical feature and prerequisite for purchase, so I really hope Sony reinstate the radio. As many others have stated here, this is a deal breaker for me too.

One time poster
Message 47 of 70
Message 47 of 70

Radio FM missing

Hi, as I already know, FM Radio (the real one, not streaming) should have been supressed, can anyone confirm that? If so, is going to be restored in the future?

Adviser
Message 48 of 70
Message 48 of 70

What's the difference from other phones if NO RADIO?

Sage
Message 49 of 70
Message 49 of 70

I am going to do the same thing: wait until Z5 breaks.

Some localized versions of LG V20 have FM radio: maybe will be a good choice. I will regret the integrated noise canceling, though.

Learner
Message 50 of 70
Message 50 of 70

WHAT?? No FM Radio??? I thought tech went forward! Now bought a top of the line phone and no radio, is it a joke??

Give me a ny radio back!!