account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

No FM radio?

SOLVED
Learner
Message 21 of 70
Message 21 of 70

Re: No FM radio?

Yes, please please help to feedback to the designers about FM radio. It's for a different kind of media, when you're sick of your own music and low on data to use Spotify or just want to follow a live event or even listen to the broadcaster's nice voice Slightly smiling Face

FM radio was why I buy Z5 dual instead of the X series. I was hoping the new phone after X performance will have it back then I can jump to it for upgrade. Guess no hope now. Slightly frowning Face

Also, any reason behind why dual sim on XZ is I heard exclusive with expandable storage? It's not much of a space saving, the XZ is almost the same dimension as Z5 dual.

Is Sony simply just following behind Samsung or this is due to the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 chip? If so, I will continue to bear hope for new chip Winking Face

Loved the Sony Z series, It's a bit sad to see mid/low end phones with all of FM/dual sim/expandable storage together but now losing all this with a top end phone. Except Apple, since they don't mind even losing the headjack. ^_-

Inhabitant
Message 22 of 70
Message 22 of 70

The XZ (like any other phone) is more than capable of having FM radio since it does have the chip. Sony just didn't pre-nstall the FM app (which is sad, as Sony's app definately was the best). Yes, it's a shame, as it is a dealbreaker for a lot of people and therefore will it hurt them in sales. 

I'm also disappointed that no one on this forum wants to forward this directly to someone who has influence about this decision or come up with answers why they did it. So please mail Sony yourself and demand an explanation from someone who's responsible. 

Sage
Message 23 of 70
Message 23 of 70

I already wrote to local support, hoping that many more of us will do the same.

Message 24 of 70
Message 24 of 70

Wireless headsets are the future. But for fm radio we need the cable antenna. So fm radio is so or so no option for the wireless headsets.
Just an idea why nobody puts effort to progam an radio app at sony?
So the headphonejack is a bit obsolete. 😂
Inhabitant
Message 25 of 70
Message 25 of 70

Ok, so I dropped my Z2 and the screen got cracked and it doesn't respond anymore. Can someone confirm that the XZ does support FM (what Sony NL told me), as I want to buy my next phone as soon as possible?!

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 26 of 70
Message 26 of 70

Ok, I give up. I ordered an LG G5 (the only flagship left with FM). The software and build quality are horrible on this thing, and I really miss the IP68 certification. But at least LG doesn't remove an AVAILABLE(!!!) feature that I like to use. I really wanted the XZ, but I can't support a company that removes useful and available features to force you to use data streaming. 

Mods, you can close my account.

Thanks for the last 8 years Sony,

An ex-Sony fanboy

P.s.
they're losing a lot of sales because they refuse to pre-install an available app! How stupid can you be as a company? Just make the ******* app available in the Playstore and let people decide whether they install it or not and it will lead to extra sales. Is that so hard to understand?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 27 of 70
Message 27 of 70

I managed to get some additional information about this.

The Xperia XZ doesn't have all the hardware required to support FM radio. A software update will not make the FM radio available.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Inhabitant
Message 28 of 70
Message 28 of 70

Thanks Chris. That means that they probably grounded the antenna pin to prevent users from using it. I really don't understand why they even want to spend money on it to modify every chip (because every BT-chip and the SD820 do have a functional chip) in order to take away a featured used by many people. Why don't they leave it untouched and provide software for it like with the Z-series and let the users decide wheter to keep it or not.

My XZ could have arrived today, but I guess I'll keep the G5 then.Slightly frowning Face

I really hope that they will change their mind for the next flagship, but I'm afraid they won't.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 29 of 70
Message 29 of 70

@aad14 I understand your situation. I still appreciate your feedback and I have forwarded it all as user feedback.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Sage
Message 30 of 70
Message 30 of 70

Thank you Christofer.

Sooner or later I will have to change my phone too and I hope that they will introduce that feature back.