account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

How to change the default photos app from album to Google photos?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Adept
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

How to change the default photos app from album to Google photos?

Everytime I press the picture viewer icon aftet taking a picture with camera it opens the sony album app. How can I change this to use Google photos instead? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Re: How to change the default photos app from album to Google photos?

Hi @isbesheer,

In order to choose which media viewer is used when previewing photos in the Camera app, I'm afraid that you'll have to disable the Album app as it defaults to Album if it is available. Once Album has been deactivated and you press the preview in the Camera app, Camera will ask you which app you want to open the preview with - simply choose the Photos app from Google here. 

Let me know if that helped! Feel free to mark my post as the accepted solution and kudo it if it was helpful, so that other users which have the same concern may find my post. Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

7 REPLIES 7
Commissioner
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Go into Google Photos settings and get the photo viewer, then move it so that it fits over the top of the SONY album viewer within the camera app. I don't know if it's called the 'photo viewer' but you'll see what you need in the settings.

Adept
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

This can't be done. Are you sure you tried this on a XZ phone? 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Hi @isbesheer,

In order to choose which media viewer is used when previewing photos in the Camera app, I'm afraid that you'll have to disable the Album app as it defaults to Album if it is available. Once Album has been deactivated and you press the preview in the Camera app, Camera will ask you which app you want to open the preview with - simply choose the Photos app from Google here. 

Let me know if that helped! Feel free to mark my post as the accepted solution and kudo it if it was helpful, so that other users which have the same concern may find my post. Slightly smiling Face

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Adept
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for the reply. However I found that when I do this I am only able to access the last shot I took from the camera app (i.e.) when you tap the small picture icon at the bottom right of the screen inside the camera app you're asked about the app you like to use to show this particular photo only and you can't browse other photos after that unless you quit camera and launch Google photos. So to cut it short the default camera app uses the default album app and that's it. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

That seems to be the cases currently, I apologize for the inconvenience. However, I will make sure to forward this internally as user feedback on your behalf! Slightly smiling Face

One time poster
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

sony album was my prefered photo viewing, sorting app, until it start messing with my photo date, and messing up my extire user experience, after hours of restoring photos to the rightful chronological order in google photos, sony album will change the dates to some crazy years like year 2200, 5500, 3300 etc etc, especially true for the thumbnail photo for that album and also batch of random photos from that phisical album in the SD card.

revoking the right to access storage for sony's Album doesnt help too.

so circulate this internally as user feedback, extremely unhappy and if problem not resolved, will definately be the most important consideration when i next buying a new mobile, which might be very soon considering the crap that album puts me through!! 

One time poster
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

Hi,

I recently found out numerous photos in my "Album" app disappeared so I tried downloading my photos in Google Photos and putting them into my Album app. But then, they are in incorrect dates so i deleted them. I don't seem to have any solution, therefore, I want to use Google Photos as default. But then, I cannot disable the Album app, so I don't know what to do now. (PS. can photos in Google Photos be accessed even without wifi?) Thanks in advance!