account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Group contacts and text messaging

One time poster
Message 1 of 55
Message 1 of 55

Group contacts and text messaging

After the update to android 7 group contacts are not shown in contacts. You favourites  and all are the only fields shown, but no groups? All my grouped contacts still have the group assigned but there's no way I can see to display the group?

Likewise you can no longer select a group to send a message to under the standard Sony messaging app.

Any ides?

54 REPLIES 54
Learner
Message 2 of 55
Message 2 of 55

Re: Group contacts and text messaging

Hi,
Same problem here updated my Xperia XZ Dual.
Forum Legend
Message 3 of 55
Message 3 of 55

it seems that contacts app was upgraded and the group feature was removed.. i'll try to get more information about this.

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling
Learner
Message 4 of 55
Message 4 of 55

I have the same problem really is frustrating. If I go on Contact to display & my Google account I can see them there but can't do anything with them.

Regular
Message 5 of 55
Message 5 of 55

I noticed this right away as soon as I updated and it is very frustrating. I use group texting weekly and hope there is an easy way to get it back.

Visitor
Message 6 of 55
Message 6 of 55

Very annoying. I use groups to message parents of Scout group that I run. If Google contacts have the functionality then it should be available on your phone as well. Hope this is sorted quickly!
Commissioner
Message 7 of 55
Message 7 of 55

@PNM123 wrote:
Very annoying. I use groups to message parents of Scout group that I run. If Google contacts have the functionality then it should be available on your phone as well. Hope this is sorted quickly!

It depends on what functionality you are talking about. There are lots of possible functionalities that can be based on contact grouping. But the only thing Google's own devices support using "standard" apps is contact filtering: selecting which contacts to display in "standard" Contacts app. That's all. And this is exactly how it works now in Xperia XZ under Android 7.

Everything else were just "bonus" features implemented by Sony on their own accord. I don't know why they decided to remove these features now (time constraints, maybe?). But I'm sure you can always find a replacement messaging app that supports group messaging.

Regular
Message 8 of 55
Message 8 of 55

Even if they had contact filtering and then I can hit message all that would at least be a temporary workaround for me, but I can't seem to do that as well.

@Korben-Dallas wrote:

It depends on what functionality you are talking about. There are lots of possible functionalities that can be based on contact grouping. But the only thing Google's own devices support using "standard" apps is contact filtering: selecting which contacts to display in "standard" Contacts app. That all. And this is exactly how it works now in Xperia XZ under Android 7.

Everything else were just "bonus" features implemented by Sony on their own accord. I don't know why they decided to remove these features now (time constraints, maybe?). But I'm sure you can always find a replacement messaging app that supports group messaging.

Visitor
Message 9 of 55
Message 9 of 55

Thanks for the update, but all my previous phones (including Sonyz3) have pulled through the groups on my Gmail contacts.
If I want to email from a pc I can use these groups and used to be able to use with email on phone, or messaging apps (text, WhatsApp, etc) so I don't understand why the groups are not here if it is standard Google functionality.
Learner
Message 10 of 55
Message 10 of 55

It was the last system update I relly hope Sony sort it out as it really is a pain & a big backward step. I even sent back my xz phone but the new one is doing the same after the system update. Even the Sony helpline seem puzzled.