account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Excessive and unnecessary throttling

Apprentice
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Excessive and unnecessary throttling

My Xperia XZ starts to throttle itself after just 10-20 minutes of normal usage. The throttling is due to the phone getting warm, like 70-90°F warm. Is there any plans on a high performance mode being added in the future? I can't play a single game without this darn thing becoming unusable.

Before it's said, I already tried safe mode and Factory data reset.

Android 8.0.0.

3 REPLIES 3
Commissioner
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: Excessive and unnecessary throttling

@TegTronixwrote:

My Xperia XZ starts to throttle itself after just 10-20 minutes of normal usage. The throttling is due to the phone getting warm, like 70-90°F warm. Is there any plans on a high performance mode being added in the future? I can't play a single game without this darn thing becoming unusable.

Before it's said, I already tried safe mode and Factory data reset.

Android 8.0.0.

Bitter lesson learned.. Unless Sony don't sell units that have powerful hardware  it's better not to upgrade to their next iteration, but buy competitive units.. Look they regularly promote next iteration of their handsets only to find out its has mediocre hardware s that is only good for current OS and not future proof. That should be an eye opener for Sony Xperia fans. 

Apprentice
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

I won't say that this is 100% correct, but it's a massive possibility, especially with all the news on throttling phones.

Moving to HTC very soon. Or maybe one of the Pixels.

Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

@TegTronixwrote:

I won't say that this is 100% correct, but it's a massive possibility, especially with all the news on throttling phones.

Moving to HTC very soon. Or maybe one of the Pixels.

I spoke it from experience. I owned a series if Xperia phones previously and I never upgrade the OS if my previous Xperias and never had any operational problems with it. It was only when I got this XZ and I consistently upgraded from marshmallow to Nougat, the time when I start  experiencing problems  But this got worse when Oreo came in. Another lesson learned, if I happen to get another Xperia again I will not upgrade its OS.