account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Disable proximity sensor

Learner
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Disable proximity sensor

How can I disable my XZ's proximity sensor. Screen goes black when I make a call and a during call. Because sensor it's ain't working. At the sensor tests it's always at the same value. It's ain't changing at any situation. Thx 

10 REPLIES 10
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: Disable proximity sensor

Hi @kaandemir, sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

You can't disable this sensor as it is a hardware sensor, so we'll have to some troubleshooting!

To start with, is the sensor covered by for example, a screen protector? If it is, try removing it and see if there is any change. You can also make sure that there is no dirt or moisture on the sensor by wiping it clean with a dry cloth.

Do the test for the sensor when you have cleaned it and made sure that it's not covered by anything.

The test can be found in Settings > Support > Tests > Ear proximity.

Let me know how it goes and have a great weekend! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

Any of this ideas couldnt solve my problem. I send it to the Sony back at 1 May. I wish they can solve it or give me a new phone....

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

Hi again @kaandemir and thanks for the update!

I really do hope so as well, and feel free to keep me posted! Slightly smiling Face

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

One time poster
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

I find it a bit condescending and insulting that when someone is trying to get some help regarding something that's fairly obvious like the proximity sensor not working properly and the answer is, oh make sure there is nothing covering the sensor!

This is very unhelpful, the user already identified the problem as a faulty sensor and wanted to disable it.

I have the same problem with my phone and it makes it extremely annoying to use my phone while a call is active. I spared no effort trying to fix it, but sadly it was all in vain.

Why the lack of transparency? Why the inability to admit, we are sorry we admit we made a phone with a faulty sensor and now we can't fix it. 

One time poster
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

My proximity sensor doesn't work as well, and it happen right after the end and my warantee of 6 month. It is really really really annoying we just can't make any call because if we happen to go to the voice mail, or if the people we are calling dont hang out the phone, we can't use our phone like forever.

Please find a solution. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

Hi @Nidal2, sorry to hear about your device.

If the sensor is covered by for example, a screen protector (that does not have a cut out for the proximity sensor), it will not work as it should, therefore we always suggest checking this first as the sensor can't be disabled.

If you have done all the troubleshooting available, such as safe mode and performing a software repair, there is something wrong with the hardware part of the sensor and your device will need to be examined by a technician at an authorized service centre. I won't be able to help you with creating a service order as all service cases are handled by your Local support team, so give them a call and they will assist you further.

@Nexdown, sorry to hear that you are experiencing the same behaviour. Slightly frowning Face

Regarding the warranty, have you double checked with your Local support team how long it's valid for? I know it varies between markets/regions, but I'm not sure if any market has 6 months, as far as I know it's 12 or 24.

You can also try the troubleshooting steps that I have posted in this thread, if you haven't done that already.

Keep me posted!

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

I have the same issue with the proximity sensor - I guess phone got too hot or something and that's why it is broken. 

btw. it helps when i touch the camera on the back of the phone and push it a bit - sensor is working then.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

Hi @Dedbit, sorry to hear about the sensor not working correctly. Slightly frowning Face

That sound more like it would be related to hardware since it works if you push the back of the device around the camera and in that case, I would recommend that you have your device examined at an authorized service centre.

Your Local support team will assist you further with this matter, so please get in touch with them.

Feel free to keep me posted!

One time poster
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

I think mine has a bug with whatsapp since since I make test does not work, go to WhatsApp listening to an audio and it works by passing audio through speaker but not turning off screen. Then switch to test and sensor works, make calls and it works but erratically. I bet the problem is that unholly crapy App that when you are listening to an audio and another audio from the same person enters unlocks the screen, turns up the volumen leaving you deaf, same if you get an incoming call when listening to an audio close to your ear. At least a few weeks ago those illuminated brains of communication put a broom after years of developping superuseful emoticons that regular People use everyday... So maybe some Day they think about the sensor issues, but I Wonder if they think the broom is a magical transportation device since they don't picked one in their whole life. Keep developping cool senseful emoticons like the Prince Girl or the Black chinese guy