account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Dialer Keypad Disappears

Learner
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Dialer Keypad Disappears

Hello Sony world!

Okay, I love my Sony Xperia XZ Dual SIM, except I've been having 1 unsolvable problem so far. Here's the scenario, say I'm calling any larger business and we all know that you must enter options such as the number "three for account balance" from an IVRU menu, well, I'm not able to because my dialer keypad goes total black as soon as I press "dial" on my phone, or "call" from my contacts.

Now, I've already power reset the phone many times, no change. I've also searched through every setting and nothing affects the issue. I do have a screen and phone hard case to protect my phone from damage, I don't feel that has anything to do with the problem, because at least 2 separate occasions the phone has "fixed itself" while lightly bouncing around in my pocket from walking around. It's lasted several days until once again bouncing in my pocket, the issue returns. For some reason my phone likes to go into my settings and change them while in my pocket, when I have a screen password protection and turned off before inserting in my pocket in an attempt to avoid such nuisances, I usually notice that my phone will be in 24hr mode, when I prefer civilian 12 hr mode. I've also been to my local carrier store several times to see if they could assist, but no success yet, they ran diagnostics on my phone and no issues were detected as well.

I'm convinced there has to be some obscure back door to activate/deactivate the Phone Dialer Keypad display. I'm NOT a developer or programmer of phone software so I'm very hesitant to change anything I'm not absolutely certain of from the developer menu(s).

Is there ANYBODY out there that is familiar with this issue or how to access the proper settings to activate/deactivate dialer keypad display to show DURING phone calls!?!

Thanks Sony-ites! 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Pioneer
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Dialer Keypad Disappears

@KingCobra888

I don't quite understand the problem. After you press diall or call a new screen  (calling screen) comes up with new options, one of them being keypad.

There might be 2 cases:

1. Your screen goes black after you press dial / call

2. The keypad option does not appear on the calling screen. 

Which one is it? 

Learner
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

It's when I've already dialed a phone number, the call connects to the IVRU message menu, but when the message prompts "press 1 for English", "press 2 for Spanish", my entire screen stays blacked out, so there is no dialer keypad visible to select any option from. 

Learner
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

@Roadrunny76

This problem is related to your #1 scenario...

In addition, my dialer keypad does display perfectly on the initial call. As soon as the call connects to begin ringing the line, that is when the screen goes to complete blackout and stays that way until a call is ended (which I must do by power button, rather than having a screen showing the "end call" touchscreen button)

Normally, the screen should only blackout when you have the phone to your face, so you don't accidentally disconnect or face dial while on a current phone call... If you pull the phone away from your face, it should show your dialer keypad with "end call"(red) and "redial" (green) touchscreen buttons...But, this IS where mine just stays completely blacked out until I hit the power(off) button on the right side of the phone.

Hopefully this clarifies the issue.

Thanks for responding! 

One time poster
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

I also have the same problem where the screen goes blank once the call has connected. I have to press the power button to cancel the call.

It has only started with the June Update 41.3.A.2.149. Before that it was working normally.