account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Changing message notification tone since oreo update

SOLVED
Rookie
Message 31 of 60
Message 31 of 60

Re: Changing message notification tone since oreo update

Yes, before I had each person with their own ringtone (for phone calls) and notification tone (for text) so I knew who was contacting without even looking at my phone. Ugh. I hope this is fixed with a update  soon 

One time poster
Message 32 of 60
Message 32 of 60

I had the same issue with my xperia and your instructions worked like a charm! Ty

Sony Xperia Support
Message 33 of 60
Message 33 of 60

Hello everyone!

@DejaRacheal, could you please get back to me with which phone model that you have? There are a few users posting this thread that have a Samsung device and it's very confusing for me when I don't know which phone model everyone is using, if it's even an Xperia device. If you are using a Samsung device, please take a look at this post.

@Rar6rcould you please get back to me with which phone model that you have? There are a few users posting this thread that have a Samsung device and it's very confusing for me when I don't know which phone model everyone is using, if it's even an Xperia device. If you are using a Samsung device, please take a look at this post.

@74patty, sorry to hear about this.

Please take a look at the post that @Helpful posted regarding your Samsung device. For further assistance, please get in touch with the Samsung support.

@UTFilthy, I'm glad to hear that you were able to sort this out! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Message 34 of 60
Message 34 of 60

Since the update, I cannot set individual contact message tones... I dont like this. I had certain contacts with certain tones so that when I heard it I knew if it was someone I needed to reply to immediately or if it was a message that could wait. Is there any way to get this back? I certainly dont like this new update for that reason. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 35 of 60
Message 35 of 60

Hi @Harrisfamily6, welcome to our forum!

May I ask which device you are using? There has been a lot of posts from Samsung users after they updated their devices to Android 8.0 and if you are one of them, please have a look at the post below.

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-XZ/Changing-message-notification-tone-since-oreo-update/m-p/13...

I hope that helps! Slightly smiling Face

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Message 36 of 60
Message 36 of 60

It's a galaxy S8+ 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 37 of 60
Message 37 of 60

Hi again @Harrisfamily6, sorry for the late reply.

In that case I'd recommend that you take a look at the link below or that you get in touch with the Samsung support directly as this is a forum for the Sony Xperia devices!

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-XZ/Changing-message-notification-tone-since-oreo-update/m-p/13...

Have a great day!

One time poster
Message 38 of 60
Message 38 of 60

Just install Android Messages from Play Store.. Its a nicer app and allows setting of notification sounds for each individual contact.  Nice and simple with a clean  interface. No ads.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 39 of 60
Message 39 of 60

Hi @shalodge, that is a very good tip as well! Slightly smiling Face

The Android messages application is the one that is preinstalled in our devices from Xperia XZs and onwards!

I have to agree with you, it's a very simple application but it does what it needs to do, send and receive text messages and some simple options to change messaging tone, block a contact from sending messages and so forth!

Thank you for helping out! Slightly smiling Face

One time poster
Message 40 of 60
Message 40 of 60

Great.  So what.  I can change the generic message tone for all messages.  What we lost was the individual tones for different contacts!  When will that feature come back?  

Let's face it, some people are more important in our lives and knowing who has messaged without having to look everytime is a bother and almost a deal breaker.