account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Changing message notification tone since oreo update

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 21 of 60
Message 21 of 60

Re: Changing message notification tone since oreo update

I too am dissapointed there are not separate sounds for separate contacts on texting. Wish I had not upgraded.

One time poster
Message 22 of 60
Message 22 of 60

I used to have different tones for different people and now can't give different folks different tones. I really depended on those different tones. Is there a way now to do that?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 23 of 60
Message 23 of 60

Hello everyone! Slightly smiling Face

@StellaPryor, I'm afraid that it will be hard for me to assist you with a Samsung device as I do not know which messaging application they use and how the settings system looks, even though both devices are running Android 8.0, it does not always look the same due to customizations, so I'd recommend that you get in touch with their support directly.

@3dayeventer, could you please get back to me with which device you are using? There seems to be a few Samsung users posting in this thread, so I'm quite confused as to which phone model everyone has! You can find this information in Settings > System > About phone.

@Helpful, I'm glad to hear that you got some further information from the Samsung support so you have your personalized messaging tones again! @uliwooly is however correct. This is a Sony Xperia forum and even though both devices are running Android 8.0, there are some slight difference, for example which messaging application is the pre-installed one and which settings are available in that one. In our devices prior to Xperia XZs we use our own messaging application and in the newer devices the Android messages application is the one that is pre-installed.

@Bdra, if you are using a Samsung device and you have recently updated to Android 8.0, please take a look at the post by @Helpful.

@Riley357, could you please get back to me with your phone model? You can find this information in Settings > System > About phone. However if you are using a Samsung device, please take a look at this post.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 24 of 60
Message 24 of 60

My apologies if I shouldn't have posted the question in this forum since my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S8+.   I've never posted a question in a forum.. Lol.   I Googled the question about my text tones and it brought me here😁. I'm so frustrated with the system update taking the option away to assign separate text message ringtones to my contacts 😡

One time poster
Message 25 of 60
Message 25 of 60

After an hour or so researching this I managed to change my text sound on Xperia XZ, changing the notification sound is easy as it is under the sound setting in settings, changing the text notification is a different kettle of fish as it is buried under different layers in the app.
1/ Apps & notifications
2/ Configure notifications
3/ Notifications
4/ Messaging
5/ Messages
6/ Sound
7/ Pick your desired sound
This worked for me thankfully.Sony xz.png

Sony Xperia Support
Message 26 of 60
Message 26 of 60

@StellaPryor, no problem at all, I understand that it has be very frustrating!

From what I understand @Helpful had been in contact with Samsung, so please see his post and you'll find some more information there.

I hope that helps and have a great day!

@Tommytuck, I'm glad to hear that you were able to find the setting and I agree with you, it takes a while to get used to the Android 8.0 notification system! Slightly smiling Face

Have a great day!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 27 of 60
Message 27 of 60

Why can't I set a certain text tone for different contacts as I could before the update? It was the easiest way to screen through text but now I can't. 

Rookie
Message 28 of 60
Message 28 of 60

With the new update it's not letting me set specific notifications for each person in Contacts. Before we could set different ringtones for calls and different notifications for texting. I've been looking everywhere and can't find it. Android only has one notification sound for all sms text alerts now. So stupid . 

Visitor
Message 29 of 60
Message 29 of 60

Is this each individual as it was before this awful update? 

Visitor
Message 30 of 60
Message 30 of 60

This is not for each contact as most of us are complaining about. This update is awful and im so wanting rid of this s8+now.