account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Changing message notification tone since oreo update

SOLVED
Pgh
Visitor
Message 41 of 60
Message 41 of 60

Re: Changing message notification tone since oreo update

on my xz i cant change the sms tone if i choose the soundselector to choose sms sound,,,,if i do the phone change it back to some of the built in sounds,,,,,,i changed it select the new sound with another app,storage of media,,,i think in english,,i have phone in swedish so its hard to translate,,,now presto,,,the phone didnt change the sms sound back to some idiotic system pling plong sound

Sony Xperia Support
Message 42 of 60
Message 42 of 60

Hi @LezotteTech, welcome to our forum!

May I ask which device you are using? There has been a lot of posts from Samsung users in this thread after their devices got updated to Android 8.0 (Oreo), so I just want to make sure that I assist you in the best possible way.

If you have an Xperia device, you can find which phone model you have in Settings > System > About phone.

Hi @Pgh, sorry to hear about this.

Do I understand correctly that it's working now again with the ring tone that you choose? If you still can't get it to work, make sure that the ring tone is not placed on your SD card, and if it is, try moving it to the internal storage and then choose the same ring tone again.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Pgh
Visitor
Message 43 of 60
Message 43 of 60

yes now it is working,,,,but if i use the thing called ljudväljaren ,,i can only translate it to soundselector,,,if i use that to select a  sound,,,,the telephone wont let me,,,then the telephone change back to some system standard sound,,,i have to let another program take care of the selection of the sound, and i can have the sound on the sd card also,no problem there,,,

But,,,,when are you gonna fix the camera app,,or there is a patch or something to download??its stucked in a loop,,,and i fixed it by downloading another camera program,,,nothing wrong with the camera,,its just the built in program that doesnt start

Visitor
Message 44 of 60
Message 44 of 60

Isnt it really fantasic that usability has nothing to do with the phone updates these days! They are constantly changing the maze of settings. It like they purposly go out of there way to make things difficult to find. Why not have all sounds in one place like we used to do or did that make things to simple for the user!? Have none of them read dont make me think by Steve Krug, becuase it should be compulsary reading for any one working on user interfaces. User centred design please, come on, i should have to search online for an hour to find this solution.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 45 of 60
Message 45 of 60

@Pgh, there should be two different options to choose from when you tap on Sound and want to change the tone, either Sound picker (mostly used for inbuilt ring tones) and Media Storage, where you can choose a ring tone from another source, such as an SD card, Google Drive and so forth.

Try moving the ring tone you want to use to the internal storage > choose Media storage and choose the ring tone from the internal storage and see if there is any change.

Regarding the camera application, have you tried resetting the data for the camera application? This will not remove any photos or videos, it will only reset the data for the application.

You can do so in Settings > Apps & notifications > App info > Camera > Storage > Clear data > OK.

@007001009008, this is because Google did some changes to notifications in Android Oreo (8.0) but I totally agree with you, it should get easier, not the other way around! Slightly smiling Face

I'll make sure to forward your thoughts on this internally as user feedback!

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Visitor
Message 46 of 60
Message 46 of 60

I'm sorry but this didn't answer the question being asked. Up untill yesterday I could assign customer tone's for each contact. After the oreo update I can't. Little help please. Grinning Face

Pioneer
Message 47 of 60
Message 47 of 60

@AlexFogarty

What if you go to the messages, open a sms in the sms list, top right corner select "people & options", notifications? Can't you set here sound, vibration, if to display notification etc, for the contact in the selected sms conversation? 

Visitor
Message 48 of 60
Message 48 of 60

I can chagne it but it changes for all messages. The goal is to change the tone for each person on my contact list to be different. 
When I go to the people options and sound it sets it for all incoming messages. 

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 49 of 60
Message 49 of 60

Hi @AlexFogarty, I apologize for my late reply, I have been out of office due to vacation.

Which phone model do you have? There has been a lot of Samsung users finding this thread for some odd reason, so I just want to make sure I give you the correct instructions! Slightly smiling Face

Visitor
Message 50 of 60
Message 50 of 60

Hello Jonas,

About 2 weeks ago the messenger update was pushed out and it works now.

Yea I think Samsung users are finding it cause they are suffering from the same issue.  Lol

I'm good now though.  Thank you though. 

Have a great day.