account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Changing message notification tone since oreo update

SOLVED
Learner
Message 1 of 60
Message 1 of 60

Changing message notification tone since oreo update

Since the Oreo update, I can't change my message tone.  I have found where to change the notification sounds in settings but this doesn't change the message tone for SMS 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 60
Message 2 of 60

Re: Changing message notification tone since oreo update

Hi @Toffeeblue, welcome to our forum!

To change the notification tone for the Messaging application in Android 8.0, please follow the instructions below.

1. Find and tap Settings > Apps & notifications > App info.
  2. Select Messages, then tap App notifications.
  3. Tap on "Messaging" under Categories and then tap on Sound. Here you can choose which ring/notification tone you want to hear when you receive a text message.

Let me know if that helps! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

59 REPLIES 59
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 60
Message 2 of 60

Hi @Toffeeblue, welcome to our forum!

To change the notification tone for the Messaging application in Android 8.0, please follow the instructions below.

1. Find and tap Settings > Apps & notifications > App info.
  2. Select Messages, then tap App notifications.
  3. Tap on "Messaging" under Categories and then tap on Sound. Here you can choose which ring/notification tone you want to hear when you receive a text message.

Let me know if that helps! Slightly smiling Face

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Learner
Message 3 of 60
Message 3 of 60

Hi thank you, Jonas it worked but I think it's a lot of messing around to change the message tone surely this would be better in the message options to change the message tone 

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 4 of 60
Message 4 of 60

Can Sony support give feedback and influence the people who do these Android updates? Not to put too fine a point on this issue, but the person who removed the setting for assigning messaging tones from the Messaging settings menu in the app, where it made perfect sense, is an idiot. Lets have common sense please, if it wasn't to be found within the app as before, why not put in the normal Sound options on the main menu? Why this roundabout way, which to be quite honest, most people probably wouldn't think of as it is not obvious and not common sense. Please, can these people find out what features people actually like and what works. It seems with the latest update some bits have been dumbed down while sorting out something simple like a messaging tone has been made hugely complicated. For the record, your description wasn't even correct for what is displayed on the screen to change these settings. You don't select sound once into Notifications, its actually Messages, and don't touch the on/off tab at the side, must touch messages  to get the options. 

Please Sony, have more say in these updates, i love your phones but Android updates keep changing things and making a mess of things! Like the Alarm issue and they have also got rid of the volume increasing as a call comes through. Not helpful!

Thanks from a big Sony fan.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 60
Message 5 of 60

Hi @Toffeeblue, You're very welcome and I will make sure to forward your thoughts on this internally as user feedback! Slightly smiling Face

@Rae77, I agree with you. It is a lot better if you can change the notification tone directly from inside the application as it makes a lot more sense and is way easier to find then having to navigate through several different menus in the device.

I will forward this internally as user feedback as well and thanks a lot for highlighting this! Slightly smiling Face

Happy new year to the both of you!

Learner
Message 6 of 60
Message 6 of 60

I have tried the app way to change tone doesn't work all this money for a mobile that's turning out to be pile off rubbish.. May sony are doing a apple  since the update my zx has been slow sluggish lagging screen lag very poor.. Battery drains really fast now only had this mobile ab 6 months... Noticed this with Sony products cost the earth but not really doing there job,,, yes I have tried every way to change my message tone.. Nothing happens..time to change brand constantly running into issues with zx what a waste 

Learner
Message 7 of 60
Message 7 of 60

Only way I can change my tone is by using a diff messaging app how  is that 

Rookie
Message 8 of 60
Message 8 of 60

not to mention the annoying "all white menu", why no option for dark/black Slightly frowning Face

anyway, this SMS tone selection gets to #1 for the moment

Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 60
Message 9 of 60

Hi @NorbertL, welcome to our forum!

Are you referring to the white background color inside the application? I'm afraid that this can not be changed to another color., however I will make sure to forward this internally as user feedback!

You can always check for another messaging application in the Google Play store and see if either of those have an option to customize the background for both the menu with all conversations and if you can use a specific background color for certain conversations!

Let me know if there if you find an application that you like that supports this! Slightly smiling Face

Commissioner
Message 10 of 60
Message 10 of 60

Thank you so much for this!😃

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ XZ (F8332)