account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Can't connect to WiFi saved network

Inhabitant
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Can't connect to WiFi saved network

Hallo again, I have already posted in another post about how bad this phone at picking up WiFi signal compared to other phones including old Sony phone but now there's a new problem.
The phone won't connect to home network ( which it used too) it show the name of the network with Disabled written underneath it and when I do long press and then choose connect to network, it changes from Disabled to Saved.

Here is what I tried already ( and none of them helped)
- Resetting the router and changing the settings.
- Deleting the saved network and then reconnect to it again.
- Connecting to a different WiFi which do work but the problem still exist.
- Clearing up the credentials.
- Did a Software repair ( which didn't help the first time I was trying to connect during the setup but somehow it connected just to have the same problem the next day).

This problem showed up before the last update

Android version 7.0
Build number 39.2.A.0.442
Xperia XZ F8332

Thank you in advance.
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Adept
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: Can't connect to WiFi saved network

Xperia phones have always had problems with wifi connections. This is my third Xperia and nothing changed regarding this issue and in fact it might have gone worse.
Anyway, I've had some problems with my wifi connection similar to the problem you're describing and the solution I found is this: Go to "Settings" then "Location" then tap on the 3 dots beside the "Location" title then tap "Scanning" then switch off "WiFi scanning". Now turn off your wifi connection, wait about 5 seconds, and then turn it on again. It should scan for networks and if your home network is saved with the right password it should connect. It works for me but lasts about 5 to 10 mins then the connection is lost and I have to switch wifi off and on again. It's very frustrating and needs a fix by the developers but so does the Bluetooth and the notifications issues and Sony just don't care. All they're thinking about now is new marketing techniques to sell their new upcoming phones.
Inhabitant
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

@isbesheer

Hey, thanks for the help, but I had already tried all of that and nothing helped. 

But this is what I did at last (again) which is doing a software repair again, Resetting the router and it's working again.

I can't really point out where the problem was ( phone or router)  but I'd like to think it's the router fault.

If the problem reappear I'll report back.

Again thanks for your help. 

One time poster
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

Same problem here on both Xperia z4 and 5. WiFi works until you disconnect, then it cannot connect any one. Problem happened only after updating android, other devices still working with WiFi...

Hc2
One time poster
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

Even this fix doesn't work for me!

I have all of the problems you've mentioned on my Z5 after update to Nougat, even had it sent away to be 'repaired, though I insisted to Sony UK repeatedly that its a software issue. Battery was replaced etc and still haveing all the same issues. 

Alas, sony are refusing to acknowledge the problems with 7.0. 

I  

One time poster
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

The "can't connect to this network" is very usual in xperia phones and I have seen a few complaining about it. One thing that you should try out is to power cycle your router. All you need to do is press the power button and wait for 30 minutes before switching it on. Now search for the wifi connections once again and hopefully it will work.

Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

To add the Wi-Fi network again, you try to do these steps:
1.Open your device's Settings app.
2.Tap Wi-Fi.
3.At the end of the list, tap Add network. Tip: On Android 6.0 and below, to see Add network, tap More 
4.Enter the network name (SSID) and other security details, if needed.
5.Tap Save.
6.You may need to enter a password to connect.

3JR
One time poster
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

I have an L1 having these problems this is my second because I returned the first due to these issues my dad has the same and he also has the same issues all my over devices work fine and I am yet to find a solution i like my phone a lot but for this issue and at the moment wouldnt recommended it to anyone and definitely wouldn't buy another sony at the moment sony need to pull their fingers out and get this sorted and start putting their customers first!

Pioneer
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

WiFi and other problems are common, not only for Sony, but Pixel, OnePlus and others share the same problems.

Here is a nice howto for common Oreo problems.

The WiFi part is clear about the steps to take.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
One time poster
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

WHAT SOLUTION DID YOU HAVE AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM.