account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Camera extremely grainy

Inhabitant
Message 351 of 454
Message 351 of 454

Re: Camera extremely grainy

Long story short, are the developers doing anything to improve/fix the camera algorithm in Xperia XZ ?

Enthusiast
Message 352 of 454
Message 352 of 454

if they did they would have did something to the software and added OIS in their upcoming phone so the answer to your question is NO

Learner
Message 353 of 454
Message 353 of 454

I get the distinct impression that Sony are going to poke their fingers in their ears and sing 'la-la-la' rather than address the blatantly obvious problems with the camera in the XZ.

I came back to Sony after a couple of years away. In that time I had an LG G3, a G4 and, finally, a year with an iPhone SE.

My last Sony had been a Z2. I liked the build, the HD audio and, crucially, the camera so thought I'd come back to Sony. I sold the SE and got myself an XZ on the strength of the camera claims (and some very enthusiastic 'professional' reviews online).

I have been stunned by how poor the camera is on the XZ. Low light pictures are pretty much a write-off. Autofocus at macro-level fails more often than not. Worst of all, the horrible watercolour edge processing of so many shots.

I'm stunned that Sony think this is acceptable in a flagship. The G4 and SE both take far, far better pictures. Blimey, even the now ancient Z2 took way better pictures.

I genuinely was pleased to be returning to Sony, but I suspect this will be my last of their phones I buy. Such as shame, as it's build is amazing, it feels tremendous in the hand, the screen is one of the most beautiful you'll see, and day to day performance is superb.

However, for me, there are three areas that need to work well to make a phone a keeper. The first is the battery. The XZ (running 7.0 at least) is, at best, average and offers poorer performance than my Z2 did back in the day. I'd struggle to get an unthrottled day out of it. Not great - but just about saved by fast charging. I could live with it.

Secondly, signal strength needs to be good. It's a phone after all. The phone can't hold a signal in weaker strength areas. Dropouts occurred in places where the SE held onto a reasonable 4G signal. Not great, but on its own probably not cause enough to jettison the phone as in most urban areas it's ok.

Thirdly, the camera needs to be good. Quite frankly, my old Sony Ericsson from over a decade ago took less processed and more reliable photos. Simply not acceptable in 2017.

Regular
Message 354 of 454
Message 354 of 454

Guys,

I have a tweeted to the Sony CEO Kaz Hirai San to look at how much this thread has been ignored by his staff. Please retweet as much you guys can so as to get his attention.

One time poster
Message 355 of 454
Message 355 of 454

I, like everyone else am extremely disappointed with the performance of the XZ's camera performance as I bought this phone primarily for taking photos. 

This is the response I got from 'Sony Xperia Care' when I told them that I wasn't happy with the XZ's camera performance and wanted to return it. 

"I am sorry but the warranty does not cover a change of mind on a product. Please also note that the images are not used as any form of advertising and only serve the purpose of showing off the clarity of the display, With this being the case there is no false advertising published by Sony on this product so we must decline your request."

I haven't changed my mind... the product is inferior and falsly advertised.

I had asked if the sample images on the camera were actually taken by an XZ.  Obviously they are not.  Does anyone else find this misleading?  I foolishly had asumed they were.  I wanted the extra MP's so I could crop and still have an usable image.

Sony XZ 23MP vs Google Pixel 12.3MP zoomed in at 200% in photo shop (almost double the MP and the image is unusable)......give me the pixel anyday!  The XZ looks like a water painting.

Sony XZ (200%).PNGSony XZ (200%)Google Pixel (200%).PNGGoogle Pixel (200%)

Enthusiast
Message 356 of 454
Message 356 of 454

G4 almost the same spec except CPU and sensor completely annihilated the xz and yes I have the G4 and also the iPhone se and they are far more superior than the xz, not to mention the after sale support from Sony so bad. I accidentally cracked the LCD on my xz and of course not covered by warranty but nowhere or any certified repair shop can Sony direct me to have my phone fixed very frustrating and I was willing to pay for the repair too but Sony is so bad at their support. I even open a discussion about it here in the forum and they can't even give me an answer or direct me to a certified shop because it is non-existence at all so beware fellows the after sale service and support is bad from Sony. I will probably have it fixed with a 3rd party repair shop and sell my xz for less I don't really care I just want to get rid of it. !

Learner
Message 357 of 454
Message 357 of 454

I don't think tweeting a parody account is going to get the real CEO's attention...
Inhabitant
Message 358 of 454
Message 358 of 454

Why this post is marked as SOLVED? I'm afraid they will not pay attention to SOLVED posts...

Regular
Message 359 of 454
Message 359 of 454

its been 36 pages and over 400 complaints and yet Sony staff despite actively moderting comments on this thread has not responded or acknowledged this thread. I do not think the Japanese company has enough ethics to the very least acknowledge the issue. 

At this point, for every reply, i am just getting spammed for every response. We bought this japanese product from a clearly dying japanese company we deserve to be disappointed. And hence I tweeted to their CEO and stopped this thread.

Enthusiast
Message 360 of 454
Message 360 of 454

I just noticed too maybe that alexdon moderator solved this thread and also edited our post. Really?! What's wrong with our post? Are we satisfied and is there a solution already?