account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Camera extremely grainy

Adviser
Message 441 of 454
Message 441 of 454

Re: Camera extremely grainy

Just upgraded from a 5 years old Xperia T (failing battery).

Low/medium-light/in-door photos are absolutely terrible. Wasn't expecting this.

Raw picture of the sensor is maybe (?) better than the Xperia T but the processed paint-looking oversharpened picture... Wow, looks like a $100 phone.

No details, and basicaly a huge halo around all high contrast objects.

Xperia T is (surprisingly) almost unprocessed (0 edge enhancement). The XZ is the total oposite.

How they can think theirs settings are ok..

"De-noising" and Edge enhancement needs to be reduced almost by half.

Rookie
Message 442 of 454
Highlighted
Jr8
Enthusiast
Message 443 of 454
Message 443 of 454

Hi Sony .... You really need to fire the guys at the camera dept.... They are light years behind the competition.

A galaxy S6 simply beat my XZ with a much better image. What a shame πŸ˜₯.

This phone camera should be at least good as the s6. But I'm sure it is not.

Can someone forward this to Sony mobile r&d? This needs their serious attention. 

After all this should not be called a flagship... Shame on you Sony 😑

How long do you want to cheat people and sell this high megapixel joke.

Shame on you sony... its just a awesome phone with a awful camera...( you missed the chance to win  customers)

One time poster
Message 444 of 454
Message 444 of 454

Sadly my friend's huawei honor 7 image quality beat my xz premium. That's a shame. An old chinese garbage phone defeat my xz premium. I dont want to speak about my brother's note8 camera compare to my phone...πŸ˜“

Commissioner
Message 445 of 454
Message 445 of 454

Camera extremely grainy

Maybe other companies can handle sony's lens and produce less grainy final result in 100% view, but take Your friend for walk to the park... Try to shoot as many "perfect" crisp shots as You can, running dogs, bicycles, birds.. Like 1,2,3.. Go! Each one with let's say 10 pics limit for scene. Compare results.

I'am 100 - 140% sure,  that 60% of all honor 7 photos will be washed out, and blurred like cheap market cam's from sale. I've personally made it higher, I challenged my co-worker from job with his S8 navy blue... Yes my friend, as expected.. 70% of all shoots, 7/10 taken while running, from hand, no gimball devices, were destroyed by S8, were a mess-mosaic pictures... XZ1 ruined just 5/10 of taken photos, mostly thanked to predictive capture set "Auto". Friends face.. unforgettable.

Maybe they can make a dslr quality scapes from pods, maybe they can create a photoshop colour garment, but when it comes to situation when We really use phone camera instead of our proffesional Canon-alike sets, a not predicted situation, a dynamic scene we want to save and keep to our memories, most of these flagships will fail, and leave Us sad, where XZ1 or P, will at least keep the shape of the memory.. unblurred.
Super slow motion? samsung is ahead? Apple destroyed sony? When or how? S8 and S8+ didn't even had slow-motion capture considering to be a 2017 Super flagships. Samsung copied sony 960 fps after 9 months.. 9 Months!! That's how samsung is ahead.
Apple... In tests in Canada in night and low light scene the X model lost with XZ1 7-times, being 5 out of 5, within Pixel 2, S8, lg V30 and XZ1... On sunset landscape, sony was 2-nd just tiny details lost to V30 dual cam... 

No one told You to buy sony, samsung fanboys. Your choice, your money. Just don't spam around our technical phorum if You aren't pleased with the buy!

>> Xperia XZ1 user, help-ful with knowledge he has;>>
Commissioner
Message 446 of 454
Message 446 of 454

Hi @hedrox87

I totally agree with your analysis, but you can't denay that, objectively, quite all shots from XZ1 are grainy in 100% crop and, especially in foliage, have watercolor effect. 

Ok, Xperia cameras are more indicated for everyone have some photo learning and can obtain great shot from Manual mode. But 9/10 shots in Automatic have more noise and this is more in new XZ2.

Commissioner
Message 447 of 454
Message 447 of 454

Yes, of course... never said XZ1 or any sony is Perfect... There are none perfect smartphones on the market.. NONE!!
A 500 Euro iPhone X is in some details rubbish and cheap materials as china.
I'm saying.. Sony tries to give us something Xtra, fresh and innovative in a form You can't be ashamed of. Classy, elegant... Good for a 12 y.o. boy, a famous soccer star and Toshiba CEO.. Beautiful but universal.. When I see an old man in black suit with leather briefcase holding gold S7 I'm bout to laugh.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 448 of 454
Message 448 of 454

To be honest, would say HDR is very poor on my XZ1 compared to my iPhone 7. Also these watercolour effects don't exist on the iPhone . Any idea why Sony uses water colour effect??

May be it's a signature image processing - poor Sony faboys try to defend it.

Commissioner
Message 449 of 454
Message 449 of 454

Water colour? What, are you capturing photos from underwater or what?
You can change screen colour garmet with 3 settings, sRGB, natural or amoled Vivid... But that's only on screen, copied to pc photo is natural as lens see it or your monitor is set to.

Captured with XZ1-DualSIM Rev.4  18W05

DSC_2004.JPG

DSC_2534.JPG

DSC_3127.JPG

*First and 2-nd photo.. manual 4:3 19MPix, 3-rd IntelligenAuto 16:9 8MPix.

The shot is as good as a person who takes it. Like riding a bike, simple, but You have to know the basics. Light, scene, lens capability, hand-shake... all matters.

Inhabitant
Message 450 of 454
Message 450 of 454

I own an Xperia xz1 and my wife an iPhone 7. I guarantee the xperia is far superior to the Iphone on camera performance. Yes, sometimes xperia renders grainy and watercolors effects but so does iPhone and all other smartphones. Xperia tries to deliver to the customer the best all round image quality. To me this camera is very good, and from all the functions it has the vest one is predictive capture, simply the best idea from all times. If you hot a xperia xz premium or xz1 I recommend shooting with 12 mp. It will reduce slightly the noise an you will loose some detail ( let's say 5%) but you will have a much lighter file with better quality than other 12 mp phones. Man... Enjoy your phone it is really good. If you change to a more expensive galaxy you will find similar issues ( grain, water color, etc) I am not saying xperia is the best, but it doesn't deserve to be compared and outclassed by phones that deliver similar results...