account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Camera extremely grainy

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 391 of 454
Message 391 of 454

Re: Camera extremely grainy

Hi guys,

Take a look @ the ZXs camera review at gsmarena,according to them it's not better than the ZX.It's a dissaster..

Commissioner
Message 392 of 454
Message 392 of 454

In low light it's useless. The grain and watercolour effect is lousy. Even the flash is lousy and with or without it all my non-daylight photos have a yellow tint.

Enthusiast
Message 393 of 454
Message 393 of 454

From what i know the xzs got 12mp default camera with max 19mp res. and our xz jump from 8mp to 23mp. Im sure sony read all of these complaints but they cover up there mess with a release of a new version of xz. Keep your buyers for a stupid. They better add 12mp in next software update for xz. The least they can do since false advertising.8mp default cam in 2016-2017 for high end is a big ripoff for 700$. 

Learner
Message 394 of 454
Message 394 of 454

I made a few photos to compare the camera of my old Xperia Pro to the one of my new Xperia XZ (actually not anymore, I sold it after one week usage, mainly because of the terrible camera performance) - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0u28226fxm9z27d/AADrU08TmvfIUtSbprgharT-a?dl=0 . In my opinion the photos, taken with my 5-years-old Xperia Pro, are much better, with warmer and more saturated colors, making them much more eye-pleasing.

Enthusiast
Message 395 of 454
Message 395 of 454

Nice compare 2011 vs 2016 high end.You can see the overprocess and blur from wide angle and losing detail in the back that get washed out. Unlike pro a bit overexposed and warmer but verry crisp and colorfull without blur in my first point of vieuw.

Commissioner
Message 396 of 454
Message 396 of 454

I perfectly agree with you, @Dodo1515!

As reported in the review of GSMARENA, the new XZs is a step back than the XZ. 

First, the display is worse compared to the XZ one; worse blacks level, worse DeltaE (color accuracy) and contrast. Let see the data in table in the review!

Second, the camera is not a step forward in terms of photo's quality; same blurs, more softness than XZ, same watercolor effects and artifacts from oversharpening. The new dimension of pixels (step forward) is canceled from the same worse BIONZ software.

Paradoxically, is better to have an XZ with more MP and, teorically, more amount of details, considering that the low light shots are more or less the same also if the XZs has larger pixels.

In addition the Camera app has a lot of issues, especially graphic, that need attention but Sony doesn't want hear us and open a beta channel where report them.

The only device that could be really take in consideration, is the XZ Premium, only if it as a premium materials obviously!

One time poster
Message 397 of 454
Message 397 of 454

i found this video..a comparison S7 vs XZ...looks like the details are better on the XZ and colors are more real..the S7 have a weird "glamour" effect. i think the xz have an amazing camera..maybe this phone got some sofware/app issue but don't forget this is still a phone and not a camera. the photo quality for a phone is amazing..if i want a perfect thing i prefer use my Nikon.

BTW the problem of this phone is the sofware side...if you use another software you will see better photos..use software like google camera or VSCO. The hardware is one of the best on this XZ but the software isn't perfect so you get some bad quality, noise in low light. 

You don't need sony update just change the sofware yourself Slightly smiling Face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxtxRVdEYbQ

Galaxy S7 Edge Vs Xperia XZ CAMERA Daylight TEST Full gallery https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMwWgcinfc_jZCbcdKjgRKf_oRE1wrRMMowwIiGhAo3hNkfYYC1BlODcuEaOusIkQ?key=anhLR3pzMFR2OVI1bnhkOFJWMUwtX2Z5S2R6M2ZB NIGHT TEST HERE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_ElZ3oxY58
Enthusiast
Message 398 of 454
Message 398 of 454

Macro shots it performs well and thats all i can think off. Its not allways acurate to focus on object. In all other scenario's its mostly blurry in a big part of the left corner with extra grain.its a big step behind the pixel,s7,cheap chinese oneplus 3t, mi5s. Even the cheapest honor8 get fantastic pics. Indeed its still a phone,but its a SONY. I ask myself why chinese brands with lower budget can develope better software with sonycensors then sony themselve. After 8years using sony phones i came here because of the Xz letdown camera. Its even pointless this thread because its ignored in a big way even for trusted sonylovers. Nobody got decent answer.if they only would listen to there buyers and try to fix the software in a way. We past 8months after release without any cameraupdate.ive used them all on z3c before and Camera fv5 was my second app that i used but its laggy and limit in use on Xz and also only 8mp to set.

Message 399 of 454
Message 399 of 454

@Damys wrote:

i found this video..a comparison S7 vs XZ...looks like the details are better on the XZ and colors are more real..the S7 have a weird "glamour" effect. i think the xz have an amazing camera..maybe this phone got some sofware/app issue but don't forget this is still a phone and not a camera. the photo quality for a phone is amazing..if i want a perfect thing i prefer use my Nikon.

BTW the problem of this phone is the sofware side...if you use another software you will see better photos..use software like google camera or VSCO. The hardware is one of the best on this XZ but the software isn't perfect so you get some bad quality, noise in low light. 

You don't need sony update just change the sofware yourself Slightly smiling Face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxtxRVdEYbQ

Ok, and now you try to take some pictures with not so much bright sunlight.

80 to 90 % of the time I just don't have this much light available and under those circumstances all my Xperia photo's failed. Literally all of them. My new S7 just keeps going, even at realy low light conditions. Just take a look at some real samples out there (instead of watching a videocompilation of pictures...). And don't be afraid to zoom in on them a little. Or.. actualy, be very afraid if you are a Sony enthusiast...

Inhabitant
Message 400 of 454
Message 400 of 454

Sony update camera app...

You find app inside apkmirror

1-faster launch

2-slow motion mode inside maine UI

3-fix little lags when change between front and back camera

4- a little better focus and little noise when shot in-door mode

Bad thing: you can't install that like normal app install. Device must be rooted and apk inject /system/priv-app

I test updated camera... More test and shoot share soon. Post update soon.