account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Camera extremely grainy

Commissioner
Message 241 of 454
Message 241 of 454

Re: Camera extremely grainy

Exactly. No OIS makes this worse but you guys really need to check out the iPhone 6+/6S+/7+ cameras to see that zooming in on those shows grain, blur and 'watercolour' effects. Those cameras have OIS too.
Enthusiast
Message 242 of 454
Message 242 of 454

remember this is a mobile phone its obvious there will be some noise when u zoom in but sony phones perform the worse compare to other products with OIS sony phones have extreme digital noise with extra grain which makes the picture even worst 

Commissioner
Message 243 of 454
Message 243 of 454

Exactly, but the oversharpening is something that really "destroys" the shots because give unnatural shapes.

And this is a software "feature".

Enthusiast
Message 244 of 454
Message 244 of 454

which could be easily changed by a software update if Sony wasn´t so ignorant to us

Inhabitant
Message 245 of 454
Message 245 of 454

Whoever read this thread, until sony improve their camera, dont buy this phone. Choose iPhone or Galaxy instead
Commissioner
Message 246 of 454
Message 246 of 454

I hope this thread will be useful to all wanto to buy an Xperia XZ or X Compact (same camera and sensors). But I think that the most how will buy these phones don't know about this forum.

However, this new camera has the pro to give shots with very natural colors that fully fit the scenes viewed through the our eyes and this is a great pro that other phones haven't in this quantity of quality.

Unfortunately, this great pro is obscured by the oversharpening of the BIONZ software that creates shapes unnatural and too sharper respect those the eyes see. 

Plus, there are a lot of color glitches, sometimes in the centre of the shots and sometimes laterals. Here the shapes are not clear and the colors take an effect like "watercolor" with colors washed out.

Finally, there is a great amount of noise, especially when zooming in, due to the high software elaboration; this is also visible, although less, with very low ISO. And there are some blurs in the lateral parts of the shots due to the high aperture of the lens.

These are the feature of the new Sony's 23 Mpx camera of the Xperia XZ and X Compact (in this case) that every possible buyer must keep in mind. In few words, this is not properly a camera for the shots "point and shoot"; for these other brands are far better. This phone give the best in Manual Mode, but I think that the 95% of the people doesn't know what it is and use it.

I hope this explanation will be useful to clear ideas to every espect to buy these phones, to know what expect them. No Sony's employees answer us, so I have written this based on my personal experience.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 247 of 454
Message 247 of 454

It's time to upgrade BIONZ processor And using BIONZ X instead ...
Enthusiast
Message 248 of 454
Message 248 of 454

sony should understand when people buy sony phones first thing they check is the camera because sony main cameras are godly sony is just dropping its reputation  

Apprentice
Message 249 of 454
Message 249 of 454

Regarding 39.2.A.0.386 version

Camera is still blur when I snap a shot using one hand...
I made a comparison with displayed unit....yes...displayed unit still has the best camera software...REAL blur-FREE.....
Forum Legend
Message 250 of 454
Message 250 of 454

Re: Regarding 39.2.A.0.386 version

try to perform a software repair using Xperia Companion

Xperia Tutorial Photography

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling