account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Camera extremely grainy

Enthusiast
Message 31 of 454
Message 31 of 454

Re: Camera extremely grainy

Sony needs to fix that software issue on the XZ

Learner
Message 32 of 454
Message 32 of 454

I've sent mine back getting the Samsung s7 instead how can Sony get it wrong when nearly every phone uses a Sony sensor
Apprentice
Message 33 of 454
Message 33 of 454

Same experience here... I too chose this phone for the reported camera performance but am very disappointed with the detail... Pics seems overly sharpened and there are artefacts visible at even modest zoom in on to shots taken at 23mp. Taking direct comparison shots with my previous phone (Xperia z3) I am really disappointed at the poor quality of the XZ photos. While they look crisp and punchy on the phone screen the JPEG processing seems to be letting the hardware down A LOT.

SONY please please PLEASE roll out an urgent update for the camera as it is simply not good enough to advertise a flagship based on its photo capability, only to see a 3 yr old previous model beast it.

And the auto-focus is lame, plus blurry pics difficult to avoid despite the sales hype :-\
Highlighted
One time poster
Message 34 of 454
Message 34 of 454

Until Sony Japan HQ fires those incompetent software developers from Sony Mobile of Lund, Sweden, the same problem will continue to happen. Same problem in 2017. In 2018. Assuming Sony is still selling phones by then.

Even for other Sony mobile apps, they're buggy, bloated and bug fixes are slow to be released. I bet someone from India or China could do a far better job at a fraction of the price used to hire those Swedes.

The hardware is good, it's obvously the software (postprocessing) which is the problem. Also, proper OIS does help, especially in a low-light environment, not proprietary crap digital stabilization (Steadyshot).

Maybe Sony Japan HQ does not care: it makes plenty of money from games and movies etc. Or maybe Sony Japan HQ deliberately doesn't want Xperia phones to steal businesses away from Sony's DSLR cameras.

And you wonder why Xperia phones hasn't got a bigger market share.

Veteran
Message 35 of 454
Message 35 of 454

" I bet someone from India or China could do a far better job" - hahahaha! You've made my day Slightly smiling Face
If I will see the bad soft produced in china and india which is always the case for sure I will run away from Sony brand. Sony's UI and soft is recognized as one of the best in Android world just because IT IS NOT made in india. I agree that some improvements still need to be implemented by already experienced team in Sweden.

Moving the soft to china / india is not only the risk, it is DISASTER.

Enthusiast
Message 36 of 454
Message 36 of 454

the camera software is a desaster. Sony needs to fix that in an update, doesnt matter its from sweden or india, fact is that the cam software needs to be updated.

Veteran
Message 37 of 454
Message 37 of 454

I would not call it a disaster, it is not perfect but for sure far from disaster.

Today I played a lot with iPhone 7S camera and pics have similar quality. Moreover, you almost do not have any manual control... Everything you can do to cheange the picture is a post process filters after taking a picture! This is disaster.

Sony can improve the quality by reducing the jpeg compression (bigger file size), fixing laser focus to work constantly, reducing heating, making shutter speed longer (now is up to 1s) and improving 4K video mode or improving "creative effect" (heating, lag and only 2MPx resolution).

Hence I am not saying there is no room for improvement.
I am saying the quality of pictures is comparable to competition while manual control is better than iPhone 7 now.
Inhabitant
Message 38 of 454
Message 38 of 454

I was wondering what difference would be there in the Camera between XZ and X Performance. I was going through dxomark website and saw the X performance Camera review and it got just about perfect score. Here is the link:

https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Sony-Xperia-X-Performance-Mobile-review-Impressive-results

Anyone from Sony Support or the users for that matter, confirm whether there are any major differences between the two phones?

Message 39 of 454
Message 39 of 454

I have a 100% crop from both X and XZ,
Whilst not X performance, the X & XP had exactly the same camera inside and exactly the same software...
I'll leave you to make up your mind on quality.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Message 40 of 454
Message 40 of 454

Xperia X

Screenshot_20161107-083737.png

Xperia XZ

Screenshot_20161107-083734-1.png

In my opinion, XZ smashes the X camera which was on par with Z5 imo.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.