account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Android OS size on new XZ

SOLVED
Inhabitant
Message 1 of 13
Message 1 of 13

Android OS size on new XZ

Collected my 32GB XZ a couple of days ago and have been setting it up.

Just noticed that the OS and a handful apps (only about 15 additional apps in total) has used up 46% of the phone storage.  The OS alone accounts for 10.6 GB.  Just checked my old Z2 which is running the same Android 6.0.1 and it's 4.5GB.

I did use the Xperia Mobile Transfer app which although worked well did crash a couple of times so had to abort it and retry until it finally worked.  Could this be the issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Message 12 of 13
Message 12 of 13

Re: Android OS size on new XZ

One of the reasons behind the memory allocation is the 64 bit architecture and the other is that Sony usually reserves more memory in order to be able to cover all the requirements of a future android update.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Message 2 of 13

@WillHarris23067 You could give it a try and clear cache for the entire device and restart. You could free up some space. However, you can take a look here too:

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z3/Android-System-uses-almost-10-GB/m-p/1087946#M2521

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Inhabitant
Message 3 of 13
Message 3 of 13

Many thanks.  Cached data was only a few MB but did it anyway.  Just don't want to do a factory reset as it took ages to set it up how i like it.

Just wondering if the failed Xperia Transfer data is sitting somewhere :/

Message 4 of 13
Message 4 of 13

You can also take a look at normal data from any apps you might have uninstalled but still have data stored. Although, android system takes a lot of memory.

Inhabitant
Message 5 of 13
Message 5 of 13

Cheers, will check the uninstalled / disabled apps data as well.

Just seems strange how exactly the same OS on my Z2 takes up half the space.  Guess it doesn't really matter as i only use the phone storage for OS and apps and all media goes on the micro sd.

I wonder if Android 7 will take a bit more.

Message 6 of 13
Message 6 of 13

As I can see until now, each cookie release occupies more memory, in relation with hardware intended for each device.

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 7 of 13
Message 7 of 13

Had an email back from Sony tech today saying 10.5GB or thereabouts for the OS is completely normal.
Message 8 of 13
Message 8 of 13

@WillHarris23067 That's good to know. If I will find something else, I will let you know.

Message 9 of 13
Message 9 of 13

Could it be because 64bit?
Message 10 of 13
Message 10 of 13

@DarkEyEinc Yes, that is a good point.