account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Android Nougat taking too much RAM

Adviser
Message 31 of 40
Message 31 of 40

Re: Android Nougat taking too much RAM

Same here. Xz user. Any updates on upgrading and fixing os nougat?
Highlighted
Visitor
Message 32 of 40
Message 32 of 40

android 7 OS using lots of RAM

I currently have an Xperia XZ and it's running really slow. Since upgrading to Android 7, the OS is using over half of the available RAM. Is this normal and if not, what can I do to remedy this.
Message 33 of 40
Message 33 of 40

It's normal.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Adviser
Message 34 of 40
Message 34 of 40

I hope they can work on reducing ram of the os into less than 1gb so we xperia users can maximize it.
Commissioner
Message 35 of 40
Message 35 of 40

Not withstanding that it's shameful they didn't put 4GB into the XZ, unused RAM is wasted RAM so it doesn't matter how much is being used so long as you're not getting unnecessary reloads or system performance issues. The Moto Z with 4GB of RAM has 1.6 available on Nougat.

Adviser
Message 36 of 40
Message 36 of 40

Any updates regarding this? Slightly smiling Face i hope they'll have an update asap regarding minimize usage of ram from system itself.
Talent
Message 37 of 40
Message 37 of 40

after updating to build number 39.2.A.0.386 device performance has improved massively, 1.1.17 security patches and android OS seems to use less memoryScreenshot_20170120-080426.png

Adviser
Message 38 of 40
Message 38 of 40

Lately latest update in OS have problems with sounds and sometimes hangs up. Do you guys experienced this?
Adviser
Message 39 of 40
Message 39 of 40

I think so.. Plus my wifi is having a problem connecting the internet.

One time poster
Message 40 of 40
Message 40 of 40

I had this issue on my XZ running Andriod version 7.1.1

I also realized that I had nearly 3GB of cached data on my device. Since clearing my Cached data the amount of RAM used  by Andriod OS has dropped from 1.7GB to 1.3GB and my phone has become much more usable again.

This Cache built up over about 6 months so this is my fix once every 6 month Delete cache then reboot. Would be good if Sony/Google (Not sure if this is a specific to just Sony Android or Android as a whole) had a way of cleaning this cache automatically as 3GB of Cached data for a phone is ridiculous.

Clear cache instructions:

Settings >> Storge & Memory >> Advanced >> Storage >> Internal Shared Storage >> Cached data >> Ok

Hope this helps!