account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Xz premium fingerprint scanner disappeared

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Xz premium fingerprint scanner disappeared

My fingerprint scanner has disappeared. Under SETTINGS, LOCK SCREEN AND SECURITY it used to be under DEVICE SECURITY but now the FINGERPRINT options have disappeared. 

When running the support Xperia tests, I opt for the FINGERPRINT SCANNER, it tells me to register my fingerprint but it simply doesn't register. 

I've tried normal reboots, safe mode reboots, even a reinstall but to no avail.

I've seen some generic advice from Sony related to X5 from the 2016 issue but to no avail either.

After shed load of reboots it did come back for about an hour but then it disappeared again. Question: if there is a hardware failure does Sony automatically remove the options under the security settings?

Running Android 9, phone approx 30 months old and don't want to send it away as it's out of warranty and from what I can tell on this forum the hardware support doesn't seem to be very good anyway.

Is this a known software issue? 

6 REPLIES 6
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Xz premium fingerprint scanner disappeared

Hi @MJ4875, sorry to hear about this.

You mentioned that you tried a "reinstall", was it a reset to factory settings that you tried or a software repair? I would suggest the latter due to the fact that a factory reset only deletes user data from the phone while a software repair will replace your current software with a new one. Both measures will erase all user data though, so it is advised to do a backup before the repair in order to avoid data loss.

If the software repair do not manage to get the fingerprint option back it might be hardware related. In that case it would be best to get in contact with your local support team for further instructions due to the fact that service routines, warranty and consumer laws vary a bit between markets.

I hope that helped! 

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Apprentice
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

The software repair didn't work. The software repair froze about 75% of the way through re-installation so it's no good. Very disappointing and regrettably thinking of now purchasing an alternative brand.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

Hi again @MJ4875  and thank you for the quick reply!

That is a bit weird, could you possibly try charging the phone until the LED light lights up green and try to repair the software again? This time, start the repair with the phone detached from the computer and tick the "My device cannot be detected or started, or is a Smartwatch 3" checkbox and choose "Next". After that you should be able to follow the on screen-instructions in Xperia Companion.

Let me know how it goes! 

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Apprentice
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

DSC_1057.JPG

Apprentice
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

DSC_1057.JPG

Apprentice
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

Not sure the website is letting me upload photos or not??

@MJ4875 wrote:

DSC_1057.JPG