account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia XZ Premium camera HDR feature does not work properly.

Message 11 of 16
Message 11 of 16

Re: Xperia XZ Premium camera HDR feature does not work properly.

@Vitas250 wrote:

By the way, here is a video of the blinking HDR problem I have experienced, this time it didn't even appear on zoom.. It just happens on some specific angles.

Take a look:

https://youtu.be/Nx9ND-DJYHk

You've got metering on centre or spot and trying to apply a multi based dynamic range, that's why.

Try multi and hdr

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Enthusiast
Message 12 of 16
Message 12 of 16

That actually solved the blinking issue! My bad, it seemed I didn't know about metering so much and how can it affect the picture... Thanks!

Also, I have just seen now that Sony has started Android 8.0 rollout for the XZP. Lets hope for the best!

Message 13 of 16
Message 13 of 16

@Vitas250 wrote:

That actually solved the blinking issue! My bad, it seemed I didn't know about metering so much and how can it affect the picture... Thanks!

Also, I have just seen now that Sony has started Android 8.0 rollout for the XZP. Lets hope for the best!

Yeah basically you had one setting saying brighten the shadows ,but your metering is set to darken based on centre.

Your settings end up fighting and the phone doesn't know which one to follow.

Glad you got it sorted

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Enthusiast
Message 14 of 16
Message 14 of 16

Hey again,

An update about the blinking HDR problem I had. In the previous scenario it happened because I had made wrong "Metering" settings. But that time it happened even on Auto-mode and all the metering options selected.

It is actually what I tried to say before, that I had a blinking HDR on zoom. And yes this problem still persists in Android 8.0 Oreo.

Here is a demonstration video which shows the problem:
https://youtu.be/uyNeyAanHIQ

I really hope it will reach Sony since they have a really really bad HDR in their camera. It still barely improves the dynamic range as I said in the original thread and the shadows are still way too dark.. It still doesn't look any any better on Android Oreo camera software.. Is it recommended to contact them directly about that? If yes, where? what E-Mail address is the most efficient?

Enthusiast
Message 15 of 16
Message 15 of 16

Anyone?

Apprentice
Message 16 of 16
Message 16 of 16

I have noticed exactly the same problem with "Backlight" mode doing nothing on my Xperia XA2.

In general the phone takes great photos, but this scene mode is problematic. I need to switch to manual mode to use real HDR when I think it's needed and then it takes beautiful photo.

But not in the "Superior Auto" where it does actually, well... nothing.