account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia XZ Premium camera HDR feature does not work properly.

Enthusiast
Message 1 of 16
Message 1 of 16

Xperia XZ Premium camera HDR feature does not work properly.

Hello everyone!

I have recently bought an Xperia XZ Premium so it a completely new device.

I have played a bit with its camera and I have noticed that the HDR feature (or the "Backlight" as it is called in the Auto mode) barely changes the picture and does literally nothing most of the time. I have tested several scenes with challenging dynamic range situations and I have noticed that it does not imrpove the dynamic range at all and sometimes, somewhy, it even makes it even worse in a way that it increases the shadows and the highlights way too much...

I have seen how the HDR feature works on models from other brands and seems that the XZP HDR feature does literally nothing and doesn't improve or change the picture at all and even when it does it is a very minor change.

Why does it act that way? I have noticed that XZP has way too limited dynamic range and the HDR, which should improve that, does literally nothing... I have compared the HDR feature with my old Xperia Z3 and this device seem to have a better working HDR and pictures come out with more dynamic range in daylight shots.

Same goes for the video, I have compared its 30FPS video with the old Xperia Z3 and it seems that this device even captures daylight video with a much better dynamic range than the Xperia XZ Premium.....

Nonetheless, I just want to clarify, that this does not include all the other aspects of the photo (like detail preservation, color, focus and all the other aspects that make a picture great) and it also does not include night shots because XZP night shots were superior comparing to older Sony devices and even when comparing to devices from other brands. In this post I just refer to its dynamic range in daylight shots.

Has anyone exprerienced that in their devices? Has Sony been aware of that issue and are they going to improve that in the future? I am really sorry for the long post but I had to explain the situation the best as I could so explain properly what issue exactly I am referring to.

Thank everyone in advance!

15 REPLIES 15
Adviser
Message 2 of 16
Message 2 of 16

Re: Xperia XZ Premium camera HDR feature does not work properly.

I experienced the same thing. Google phone's HDR(Nexus, Pixel) does improve colorfulness and texture clarity, but Sony XZP and Asus phone's HDR only boosts brightness. (But at the same time their HDR is done very quickly, no slower than normal photo.) Possibly they are using something like Qualcomm's stock tech? I don't know.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 16
Message 3 of 16

HTC and Google pixel ,they used the HDR+ the technology Algorithme are by google with Qualcomm Developed out.

Sony mobile : Nobody cares!

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 16
Message 4 of 16

I have played a bit with its camera and I have noticed that the HDR feature (or the "Backlight" as it is called in the Auto mode) barely changes the picture and does literally nothing most of the time. I have tested several scenes with challenging dynamic range situations and I have noticed that it does not imrpove the dynamic range at all and sometimes, somewhy, it even makes it even worse in a way that it increases the shadows and the highlights way too much...

I thought HDR mode only effectively worked in Manual camera mode?

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 16
Message 5 of 16

@Andyben From my experience with the Xperia Z3 and the XZP, when you see "Backlight" appearing in the Auto mode, it is HDR.

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 16
Message 6 of 16

@Osikiri Is it really all what it does? Because in the Z3 it did improve the dynamic range and not just the brightness. Same goes for the XZP, I noticed it did improve the dynamic range on one scene but it was a very very minor one, just as I explained in the post.

Talent
Message 7 of 16
Message 7 of 16

there are several reviews complaining about the HDR on XZP.

Sony is not a good developer for camera algorithms. You can see they are far behind on HDR, distortion, Definition etc on DXOmark and several other review comparisson.

Im sorry to say that there will probably no improvement on that. Manufacturers rarelly are capable of improving picture quality... and obviously dont expect this from Sony ..

You can add some HDR with 3rd party apps maybe...

We're all in the same boat in this department...

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 8 of 16
Message 8 of 16

** Also, I have noticed another noticiable issue about the HDR. **

Try to capture with the XZP in a challenging dynamic range scene and try to zoom in to an area where there are a lot of light. I have noticed that when the HDR is on (or the "Backlight" in the Auto mode), it starts to blink non-stop and just can't adjust the scene properly.. Have anyone else noticed that?

I hope Sony will fix all these HDR issues in the next updates because it becomes really hard to capture satisfying shots in daylight enviroments with these issues..

Message 9 of 16
Message 9 of 16

dont expect anything from sony..... they dont care about the issues. 

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 16
Message 10 of 16

By the way, here is a video of the blinking HDR problem I have experienced, this time it didn't even appear on zoom.. It just happens on some specific angles.

Take a look:

https://youtu.be/Nx9ND-DJYHk

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.