account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Xperia XZ PREMIUM have plastic frame?

SOLVED
Message 51 of 71
Message 51 of 71

Re: Xperia XZ PREMIUM have plastic frame?

I have no problem with a nylon frame. It may help to absorb drops! It may also help to lower the total weight which is already sufficient for any phone. Personally I wish OEM's would drop glass backs on all phones and go back to more durable materials. Not necessarily aluminum either as they can cause the LTE signal to weaken. Besides, who keeps a phone for more than two years anymore?

Sony Xperia Developer
Message 52 of 71
Message 52 of 71

Hey @StanleyKubrick - love your movies. Dizzy Face

who keeps a phone for more than two years anymore?

Thinking Face

With an increasing focus on eco sustainability and the devices being more powerful I think many phones live longer than before. If not with the first owner, then through several hands. 

Did I miss the point you wanted to make? Was it an ironic question perhaps? 

Message 53 of 71
Message 53 of 71

Nothing ironic about it...my point is that the materials the phone is made of are really not that important since nobody really keeps their phones for very long. They can make some very durable "plastic" type backs that allow a good signal and protect the phone better than any glass. All this discussion about "premium" materials is a waste of time. We need phones that can take a little abuse and survive another day. I doubt that the Xperia XZ premium will meet that need but I am getting one anyway. In my opinion it is the best looking phone available and will do everything I need....I hope.

Learner
Message 54 of 71
Message 54 of 71

@Bjorn_O wrote:

@nighthink : Which review was that? It seems to be a speculation since the review samples have been out for just a few weeks. :smileysmileywink:

It's not a problem we've seen on other products either, so I wouldn't be too worried. 

It was on techradar. They outed the review just few days back, I assume they tested the final sample.

Message 55 of 71
Message 55 of 71

@nighthink wrote:

@Bjorn_O wrote:

@nighthink : Which review was that? It seems to be a speculation since the review samples have been out for just a few weeks. :smileysmileywink:

It's not a problem we've seen on other products either, so I wouldn't be too worried. 

It was on techradar. They outed the review just few days back, I assume they tested the final sample.

Techradar should know enough about the device to know WHY the sides are plastic.xperia_xz_premium_intelligent_antenna_2.png

Found this picture online,  and I think it clearly shows why the sides had to be nylon and not metal.

Brilliant assembly of antennas right there 

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Developer
Message 56 of 71
Message 56 of 71

@StanleyKubrick

> Nothing ironic about it...my point is that the materials the phone is made of

> are really not that important since nobody really keeps their phones for very long.

Ok, I see your point then. Just wanted to make sure I didn't misinterpret it. :-)

What confused me is that you yourself seem to prefer "durable" and "best looking phone" which I think is all about design. Especially, I didn't see how "not keeping phone long" was a crucial argument in either direction. Personal preference is likely a stronger factor.

Learner
Message 57 of 71
Message 57 of 71

Xperia XZP use triple large layer of graphites to dissipation heat so it must be the coolest one.

Learner
Message 58 of 71
Message 58 of 71

The material of use must be premium. I think Sony have to announce the material of use, otherwise the people will only guess what they want by meaningless comments.

Message 59 of 71
Message 59 of 71

@Ultraboy wrote:

The material of use must be premium. I think Sony have to announce the material of use, otherwise the people will only guess what they want by meaningless comments.

They did.

It's nylon 

So no, not meaningless comments 

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Veteran
Message 60 of 71
Message 60 of 71

And this triple layer or graphite or copper is premium material.

Personally I do not have any issue with plastic frame on sides as long as it is highest quality plastic as it helps to improve the signal strenght. 

I can also understand some users not consider it as premium and they are right too. It is rather more about personal preference.