account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

XZP camera has serious distortion issue

SOLVED
Highlighted
Adept
Message 781 of 838
Message 781 of 838

Re: XZP camera has serious distortion issue

I just upgrade to 8.0. I saw the function in camera app. Why is it not auto ? Aiks 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 782 of 838
Message 782 of 838

Thank you for your feedback, we would like to reassure you that we are dedicated to providing the best possible user experience for our customers and have taken your feedback very seriously. We have been taking time to make improvements and increase photo shooting options.

Our models featuring our new Motion Eye™ Camera, including XZ Premium, XZs, XZ1 and XZ1 Compact, feature a wide-angle lens. This lens enables an immersive experience by providing the ability to capture more scenery in the shot, however it may also yield perspective distortion when shooting photos. Whilst this distortion is consistent with similar wide-angle lens cameras in the industry, we have listened to your feedback and developed a new optional setting in the camera menu called 'Correction for image distortion' to minimize the distortion effect. It will be available via an upcoming software update on XZ Premium, XZs, XZ1 and XZ1 compact.

Thank you for your patience with this matter and thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

View solution in original post

Adviser
Message 783 of 838
Message 783 of 838

@Emir

Thanks for your reply.

Any ETA for this update coming for XZ1 Compact?

Inhabitant
Message 784 of 838
Message 784 of 838

Everyone knows perception distortion,it just xzp has most serious one, the deformation is closest to the center,try compare to other phones. Other brands shoot  portrait  the head deformation will not be so close to the center. This is an indisputable fact. Different wide angle  problem,But still can be repaired by software.

Veteran
Message 785 of 838
Message 785 of 838

@Emir wrote:

Thank you for your feedback, we would like to reassure you that we are dedicated to providing the best possible user experience for our customers and have taken your feedback very seriously. We have been taking time to make improvements and increase photo shooting options.

Our models featuring our new Motion Eye™ Camera, including XZ Premium, XZs, XZ1 and XZ1 Compact, feature a wide-angle lens. This lens enables an immersive experience by providing the ability to capture more scenery in the shot, however it may also yield perspective distortion when shooting photos. Whilst this distortion is consistent with similar wide-angle lens cameras in the industry, we have listened to your feedback and developed a new optional setting in the camera menu called 'Correction for image distortion' to minimize the distortion effect. It will be available via an upcoming software update on XZ Premium, XZs, XZ1 and XZ1 compact.

Thank you for your patience with this matter and thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

This is fantastic news!

If it will work I will stay with the brand Slightly smiling Face

Thank you very much Emir for sharing this information. 

Enthusiast
Message 786 of 838
Message 786 of 838

Well, This fix is much better than without anyway anyway anywayyyyy.

So maybe it can still improve.

Device : Xperia XZ1
Headphone : MDR-1ALTD + MUC-S12SB1, ATH WS1100 + MUC-S12SM1
DAC/AMP : PHA-2A
Message 787 of 838
Message 787 of 838

@timtam wrote:

Everyone knows perception distortion,it just xzp has most serious one, the deformation is closest to the center,try compare to other phones. Other brands shoot  portrait  the head deformation will not be so close to the center. This is an indisputable fact. Different wide angle  problem,But still can be repaired by software.

Yes but that software is called Photoshop.

This is something that EVERY photographer knows about, it's simple physics, items closer to the lens look bigger, if a solid shape has one end closer then that end is enlarged in comparison to the other end.

You can't change this ever without serious image manipulation and cropping.

Sorry but you were told this on the original pictures, and I'm pretty sure that you're the only one out there that would want a heavily cropped image that takes ages to post process in order to correct bad photography practices.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Message 788 of 838
Message 788 of 838

Thank you for solving the problem. This is my first Xperia and i really love it was only disappointed by the distortion. Now i can recommend this to everyone i know.

P.S. i wish someone replied in this thread earlier that they are already planning on a fix and not let this issue blow over.

Message 789 of 838
Message 789 of 838

@timtam wrote:

Try compare to other phones. Other brands 

I did, long ago, you're words were along the lines of *it doesn't matter about other brands being same, I want what Sony promised"

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.

Message 790 of 838
Message 790 of 838

@Stephmeister101 wrote:

Thank you for solving the problem. This is my first Xperia and i really love it was only disappointed by the distortion. Now i can recommend this to everyone i know.

P.S. i wish someone replied in this thread earlier that they are already planning on a fix and not let this issue blow over.

To be fair, it was tweeted ages ago but was ignored as confirmation of a correction