account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

XZP camera has serious distortion issue

SOLVED
Enthusiast
Message 761 of 839
Message 761 of 839

Re: XZP camera has serious distortion issue

Below picture on the left show the correct distortion for wide angle camera and that's without the lens correction.

That's what it should be.

Device : Xperia XZ1
Headphone : MDR-1ALTD + MUC-S12SB1, ATH WS1100 + MUC-S12SM1
DAC/AMP : PHA-2A
Commissioner
Message 762 of 839
Message 762 of 839

@TruthSeeker

The photos you posted are full barrel and in the corrected version have a distortion called keystone. However the lines are straingh.

The photo I posted before from Leica lenses is full pincushion as thr XZP one. In wide lenses, the pincushion is located near the centre of the frame while at the corners there is a little barrel distortion. If you saw more on the link posted, also Canon and Olympus have impressive pincushion distortion without software corrective algorithm.

So, also S8, iPhones and others without corrective algorithm would have pincushion distortion because the geometry of the lenses. I'm the firts who is very annoying about this and annoied cause I might use Photoshop to correct all photo with distortion but this is the actual approach of Sony, pure photography. Actually is inferior in front of the others brands cause this issue, an issue due to the fact that users want a quite perfect camera. 

Enthusiast
Message 763 of 839
Message 763 of 839

well if so then can you please fix distortion on my photo with photoshop? The server and laptop.

Enthusiast
Message 764 of 839
Message 764 of 839

Also this... what kind of distortion is this ?DSC_1950.JPG

Enthusiast
Message 765 of 839
Message 765 of 839

I was working really hard to buy myself a new xperia (coming from xperia Z, yes, 4 years of perfect service and its still warking), and i find out about this problem and im little pissed and little sad. I hope sony will fix this issue...DSC_0136.JPG

Commissioner
Message 766 of 839
Message 766 of 839

@TruthSeeker

I'm not here to play some game or joke, I express only what in my opinion is the approach of Sony to photography. Again, I'm the first how find this distortion very annojing and frustrating but the only thing to do is accept, for now, the issue and try to shoot in the better way possible to reduce the distortion because is impossible to delete without algorithm. personally I think Sony will not release a fix and I think creates a new part of camera software for the next year devices. 

However, your distortion is ALWAYS pincushion and you could fix it with the app SKRWT that have a dedicated filter to adjust barrel and pincushion distortions. With my X Compact I taken a perfectly squared painting on the wall but I had several tentatives before take a good shot and this is not acceptable in all day photography, I'm the first to say it. 

The distortion is ALWAYS a kind of pincushion effect, the entity varies with the distance and light path through the lenses.

Sorry, but this is my last answer to you, there is not more to add.

If you are not satisfied of your XZP, I am intereste to buy it if you sell it. :smileysmileythumbsup:

Talent
Message 767 of 839
Message 767 of 839

Aaaaaannd another reviewer showing the distortion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQXhsA4T_eY

So we got wit rigs, Erica Griffin, DXO mark and who knows what other sites describing the distortion.

But hey, Sony said its normal and the competition has it too, right ? Face with rolling Eyes

Enthusiast
Message 768 of 839
Message 768 of 839

im not gonna stand and pose for few minutes just to take a pic without distortion lol...

Highlighted
Message 769 of 839
Message 769 of 839

@Alessio_84

soo next year  u want us to buy new sony  devices. NEVER this my last sony mobile . who knows what will be the new issues with the next year device. if  sony care about their customers they will provide the fix for the issue. 

Enthusiast
Message 770 of 839
Message 770 of 839

Goodbye alessio, If you come next time please come with evidence.