account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

XZP camera has serious distortion issue

SOLVED
Enthusiast
Message 751 of 838
Message 751 of 838

Re: XZP camera has serious distortion issue

are you still waiting for that ?

Device : Xperia XZ1
Headphone : MDR-1ALTD + MUC-S12SB1, ATH WS1100 + MUC-S12SM1
DAC/AMP : PHA-2A
Enthusiast
Message 752 of 838
Message 752 of 838

BTW Galaxy note 8, LG V30 does the good job for wide angle.

Commissioner
Message 753 of 838
Message 753 of 838

@TruthSeeker,

That's true, because Samsung, Apple (and LG I think) have a corrective algorithm similar to that found in Photoshop.

Sony has a fully camera without corrective lens algorithms and this creates the distortions due to this approach. So, considering this, they stated that there are quality defects because XZP's lenses work as in professional high end cameras that use corrective lenses to add to the camera. I saw professional photographers correct shots taken with professiona cameras in Photoshop but if you don't trust me, online there are a loto of articles about (from professionals).

There are two different approches that a consumer could evaluate, I think. Samsung, LG, Apple that have corrective algorithms for who don't want waste time to create a shot, Sony to who love the pure photography with its pro e cons. I think so, considering that the distortions are very annoying and frustrating but nothing irreversibile cause easily correct in post-processing. 

Enthusiast
Message 754 of 838
Message 754 of 838

I never see any professional camera that has this kind of distortion.DSC_1811.JPG

DSC_1868.JPG

Highlighted
Adept
Message 755 of 838
Message 755 of 838

Yes I do know that. What I want to point out is some people said it's all about wide angle lens that is not  the trueth. Some times we do want some barrel distortion effect in our photos, but nobody want the ones like these have mistery waves, and sadly XZP has worst outputs amound flagship smartphones. If we cannot record things correctly (or as what we see with our eyes), what's the point of adding a wide angle lens?

And even DXOmark mentioned distortions in XZP is not normal.

And I almost forget, Z3 campact has wide angle lens as well, it looks far more better than his little brother, and nobody explained why.

Enthusiast
Message 756 of 838
Message 756 of 838

@Bonelol wrote:

Yes I do know that. What I want to point out is some people said it's all about wide angle lens that is not  the trueth. Some times we do want some barrel distortion effect in our photos, but nobody want the ones like these have mistery waves, and sadly XZP has worst outputs amound flagship smartphones. If we cannot record things correctly (or as what we see with our eyes), what's the point of adding a wide angle lens?

And even DXOmark mentioned distortions in XZP is not normal.

And I almost forget, Z3 campact has wide angle lens as well, it looks far more better than his little brother, and nobody explained why.

yes, that's right!

Enthusiast
Message 757 of 838
Message 757 of 838

I laugh so hard when I see this.FB_IMG_1507952403570.jpg

Commissioner
Message 758 of 838
Message 758 of 838

@TruthSeeker

You never see any professional camera with this kind of distortion?

Then, it means you have not confidence and kwonledge about professiona cameras...

The figure belowe is taken with a Leica 19mm Elmarit f2.8 at f8 (full frame): Leica is one of the bigger quality lenses brand!

distort_leica19.jpg

It is clear that without any kind of software algorithm, also the profesisonal camera suffer about high pincushion distortion.

But, what you say now? 

Enthusiast
Message 759 of 838
Message 759 of 838

@Alessio_84 wrote:

@TruthSeeker

You never see any professional camera with this kind of distortion?

Then, it means you have not confidence and kwonledge about professiona cameras...

The figure belowe is taken with a Leica 19mm Elmarit f2.8 at f8 (full frame): Leica is one of the bigger quality lenses brand!

distort_leica19.jpg

It is clear that without any kind of software algorithm, also the profesisonal camera suffer about high pincushion distortion.

But, what you say now? 

Umm well what should I say now eh ?

I don't think that Xperia's distortion is pincushion distortion and not barrel distortion as well. It's like a wave.

I've a look at the source of that picture and don't think it's the same distortion on Xperia.

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/canon1635ii_a/c1635ii_a9.html

Enthusiast
Message 760 of 838
Message 760 of 838

Below picture on the left show the correct distortion for wide angle camera and that's without the lens correction.

That's what it should be.