account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

XZP camera has serious distortion issue

SOLVED
Adept
Message 521 of 838
Message 521 of 838

Re: Will XZ1 have the same camera distortion issuse as XZP?

@Alessio_84 wrote:

@hi @MrMuscle,

I agree with you with the third rule as partial solution to minimize the distortion that there is due to lens design. 

But, you could agree with me that this rule is not useful when taking, for example, a brick wall. 

More, this rule is valid also when taking front ficing strainght objects from your experience?

I ask this cause I the photo you posted is taken from angle point of view and this eliminate the distortion of strainght lines that occours when you front facing squared objects.

Thanks!

Thanks Alessio_84, at last I found someone who understands what I'm trying to say. Now for brick walls and keyboards: this is the exact problem, if you don't need to take a photo of a brick wall then don't do it because there will always be a straight line falling on the edges of the screen

When I try to shoot buildings I always aim to take the photo from an angle if that's possible to work around the distortion and if this is totally not possible and I'm forced to take the photo from the front then I try to make most of the building inside the middle square of the grid and let the sky and ground fill the upper and lower thirds to avoid the distortion

The most important thing is: do not tilt your phone while shooting! DSLRs have a balance indicator on the screen that will guide you to avoid tilting while mobile cameras don't (I dunno why if we have a gyroscope inside and it can be used to show an indicator like that) so just make sure the phone is as straight as possible in your hand

Adept
Message 522 of 838
Message 522 of 838

@redmarl wrote:

@TruthSeeker @Kunal17 @timtam @KatarzynaP1

Just ignore the funny post directly. There is always some person come out  time to time to misleading people can  eliminate the distortion with the grid.Obviously a laundry man. They are the one who really do not have XZP and do not understand photography.Just ignore  these kind of unreasonable person who make things complicated and chicanery. It's wasting your time.

I didn't mislead anyone when I try to give hints how to shoot good photos with the current level of distortion and I don't like how you are calling me a laundry man (no one is moderating this space?)

Actually it is the likes of you and the bunch you mentioned in your post who are misleading people trying to convince them that they were framed by buying the phone, and you are misleading them when you force the distortion to appear on each photo you take, like who cares for keyboard photos seriously?

You know what? I have a feeling that you are all friends sitting in the same room or on skype and coordinating what and when to say, like literally all of you called my post funny (which is strange enough when used once, but all of you used it somehow)

Enthusiast
Message 523 of 838
Message 523 of 838

Don't think that everything you say is correct, kid.

Me and the other don't know each other.

Also no one here trying to force the distort to show up on the picture.

It show up because the hardware is bad.

Device : Xperia XZ1
Headphone : MDR-1ALTD + MUC-S12SB1, ATH WS1100 + MUC-S12SM1
DAC/AMP : PHA-2A
Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 524 of 838
Message 524 of 838

Guess we all have a nice 700+€ flower photo phone unless we compromise and use lens distortion correction photo editing software, there is no other solution, even the photos labeld as ok are not just use a ruler.

I compared my xzp to my z5p and that one has the same wavy distortion but not as noticeable.

Even some with limited photo knowledge and Parkinson cannot bend a straight line in a photo, it's not about perspective as a decent camera maintain that straight line regardless if you point it up, down or however you want.

tmp_13938-DSC_0533168774920.JPGflowers ok, but try to shoot a straight line and the fun begins

Commissioner
Message 525 of 838
Message 525 of 838

@MrMuscle wrote:

@Alessio_84 wrote:

@hi @MrMuscle,

I agree with you with the third rule as partial solution to minimize the distortion that there is due to lens design. 

But, you could agree with me that this rule is not useful when taking, for example, a brick wall. 

More, this rule is valid also when taking front ficing strainght objects from your experience?

I ask this cause I the photo you posted is taken from angle point of view and this eliminate the distortion of strainght lines that occours when you front facing squared objects.

Thanks!

Thanks Alessio_84, at last I found someone who understands what I'm trying to say. Now for brick walls and keyboards: this is the exact problem, if you don't need to take a photo of a brick wall then don't do it because there will always be a straight line falling on the edges of the screen

When I try to shoot buildings I always aim to take the photo from an angle if that's possible to work around the distortion and if this is totally not possible and I'm forced to take the photo from the front then I try to make most of the building inside the middle square of the grid and let the sky and ground fill the upper and lower thirds to avoid the distortion

The most important thing is: do not tilt your phone while shooting! DSLRs have a balance indicator on the screen that will guide you to avoid tilting while mobile cameras don't (I dunno why if we have a gyroscope inside and it can be used to show an indicator like that) so just make sure the phone is as straight as possible in your hand

@Again I agree with you @MrMuscle and your have been honest to talk about the evident distortion present when taking straightened object front fancing the camera. This is the key point of the entire thread. DSLRs have a corrective lens dedicated properly to avoid this distortion, lens that is not present in camera smartphones due to space.

So, I noticed that, when I tried to shoot (always with grid) close up front facing objects like open doors near armchair or painting (I like art) and is not possible take the phone straight in hand cause the high, tilting sligtly since the vertical and horizontal lines are aligned with the grid ones, provide excellent shots not "compressed" at the corners. (this is not properly related to the distortion of lines).

However, it is correct when shooting front facing straight objects, put it as possible in the central square of the grid and, in case a little subject as a paint, use the zoom or close up to it; this tips reduce a lot the distortion.

More to consider, as talk before, the distortion front facing is distance related.

I found you very pleasant because, as me, tried to give help to reduce a problem that is present and enjoy to use the device. More, if you have other suggestion properly for the front facing distortion discussed here, talk us about, you are free to say what you want since you don't damage anyone! :smileysmileythumbsup:

A big and very useful help from you to all that not trust you could be post some of your shoots front facing straight object to demonstrate that is really possible to minimize the distortion!

Thanks!

Adviser
Message 526 of 838
Message 526 of 838

@Alessio_84

Very polite ask you ,I see you say that "always with grid formula" has at least more than 15 replies with out any prove picture. I really do not know what you're talking about,I guess you are talking crop  photo ??!! Can you take some pictures from XZP including before and after  you  reduce the wavy distortion with all full size 19mp picture.If you are talking about put the objects you need to the little center range and crop out the edge ,then do not bother.This is not a good idea........

Enthusiast
Message 527 of 838
Message 527 of 838

Yes show us the evidence !

Message 528 of 838
Message 528 of 838

Personally I wish this thread would be locked and deleted permanently! It is a useless debate. The vast majority of people who own this phone DO NOT care about the distortion! I have this phone and I think it takes great pictures. IT IS A CELL PHONE that just so happens to have a camera as a feature. It is NOT A CAMERA that can make phone calls, do email, do texting, run a GPS and so forth. If you want the perfect camera then GO BUY ONE FOR 10 times the cost of this phone. And for those of you who cannot stop complaining about this silly issue...SELL THE PREMIUM and go buy something else and take your childish complaints to those forums so we don't have to see them any longer. Face with stuck-out Tongue

Now where did I put my fire proof suit?

Enthusiast
Message 529 of 838
Message 529 of 838

Hey StanleyKubrick,

Who did you think you're ? 

You don't care doesn't mean other people don't care !

You think it take a great picture but for some other people it's not !

Adept
Message 530 of 838
Message 530 of 838

@Alessio_84 wrote:

@MrMuscle wrote:

@Alessio_84 wrote:

@hi @MrMuscle,

Thanks!

@Again I agree with you @MrMuscle and your have been honest to talk about the evident distortion present when taking straightened object front fancing the camera. This is the key point of the entire thread. DSLRs have a corrective lens dedicated properly to avoid this distortion, lens that is not present in camera smartphones due to space.

So, I noticed that, when I tried to shoot (always with grid) close up front facing objects like open doors near armchair or painting (I like art) and is not possible take the phone straight in hand cause the high, tilting sligtly since the vertical and horizontal lines are aligned with the grid ones, provide excellent shots not "compressed" at the corners. (this is not properly related to the distortion of lines).

However, it is correct when shooting front facing straight objects, put it as possible in the central square of the grid and, in case a little subject as a paint, use the zoom or close up to it; this tips reduce a lot the distortion.

More to consider, as talk before, the distortion front facing is distance related.

I found you very pleasant because, as me, tried to give help to reduce a problem that is present and enjoy to use the device. More, if you have other suggestion properly for the front facing distortion discussed here, talk us about, you are free to say what you want since you don't damage anyone! :smileysmileythumbsup:

A big and very useful help from you to all that not trust you could be post some of your shoots front facing straight object to demonstrate that is really possible to minimize the distortion!

Thanks!

From now on I'll ignore all the trolls here and pretend as it's only you and me on this thread <3