account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

XZP camera has serious distortion issue

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 431 of 838
Message 431 of 838

Re: XZP camera has serious distortion issue

My XZP has the same issue and many, if not all, others' do.

Obviously Sony

is responsible for this issue. 

Commissioner
Message 432 of 838
Message 432 of 838

Hi @Quester,

I agree with you only in part.

Technologically talking, the IMX400 camera sensor is not a trash, is a very tech innovation but, unfortunately, focused only on video. The stack memory for 960 fps is very impressive, it is a great tech innovation for a very impressive slow motion pics.

Also the new bigger pixels are a improvement because, in theory, could take better shots in low light and provide nice natural bokeh effect in macro. This camera makes the better, especially, in Manual Mode. And here finish the better for the camera, unfortunately.

About the G lens, I think it has noticing wrong in development because if it has been all concave, the results would have been all barrelled. Adding a convexity near the centre of optical pathway makes to have natural 3D image together a wide field of view. This is for all lenses in smartphone, more or less accentuate; the difference is that Sony hasn't implemented an algorithm to compensate the pincuhion effect and the results are distorted vertical and, especially, horizontal lines if the subject deals the space near the centre of the lens. Notice that this distortion is substantially distance dependent. I want report that a shape correction as done from Samsung for this issue, could ruin the background of corrected portion because is a software manipolation by algorithm and not a natural take from the sensor. 

More the Camera app has also a aesthetic glitch with menu when scaling dpi as reported with screenshots, but there are not updates to fix them also.

Finally, for me, this sensor has big potentials but users are angry and displeased for distorted lines and they have right considering this should be a flagship. 

I suggest from Sony's devs and moderators here, at least, to suggest an app where correct in post-processing the distorted lines as a provvidential and temporary solution.

However, I and all other users, rest here to see your shots impressive, also with squared objects, as you promise!

Message 433 of 838
Message 433 of 838

@Alessio_84, check out SKRWT, it's got some lens distortion correction settings to tinker with https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=accky.kreved.skrwt.skrwt

Adept
Message 434 of 838
Message 434 of 838

Years ago on z3/z3c topic, we "old customers" gave a hard  fight with sony. About sound distortion, about touchscreen failures, about peeling off screens, self cracking screens and everything. Our messages deleted, even users banned.

Exact same thing happened in z5 series.

and maybe a little bit less in XZ series

Today i'm still seeing a lot people still buying sony phones who's support does not give any "s***" about their customers even if they have their most expensive phones.

Sorry guys but you deserved it. Truth was just a couple of click away from you but you chose spent your money to "infamous" firm, blindly and recklessly. Now have a good fight with "sony support" whos playing three monkeys.

Veteran
Message 435 of 838
Message 435 of 838

That is never again sony, unless they will change which is unlikely to happen. 

One time poster
Message 436 of 838
Message 436 of 838

I'm an old customer, Z1c back cover issue, now this joking camera. You don't really deserve customers, just feel free of doing what you want, if the camera is not fixed by the end of the year i will sell my XZp and i will never buy a single phone by you. This is a big problem on an highlight feature of the phone, like your "superior auto mode" that use ridicolous ISO in every situation. As i said this is my last chance with a Sony phone, i'm sick of it.

Inhabitant
Message 437 of 838
Message 437 of 838

I'm waiting for the launch of new iphone. If Sony does not release patches to the camera I'm selling my XZ Premium.

One time poster
Message 438 of 838
Message 438 of 838

I wish I had seen this whole thing earlier. I won't have bought the phone. Totally disappointed from this supposedly top-of-the-range phone. Can't even take a proper picture. I want to RETURN THE PHONE.

Learner
Message 439 of 838
Message 439 of 838

santorini #view #sunset
Highlighted
Talent
Message 440 of 838
Message 440 of 838

DSC_0108.JPG

DSC_0107.JPG

DSCPDC_0003_BURST20170823184830993_COVER.JPG

Look at the tower in these pictures,when it is at right or left,it have serious distortion...