account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

XZP camera has serious distortion issue

SOLVED
Talent
Message 191 of 838
Message 191 of 838

Re: XZP camera has serious distortion issue

@YuRR

Excellent explanation here. I never thought that the official picture was so serious. And this  light ball photo explained everything so clear,this distortion range is totally unacceptable even affect to the middle yellow rectangle no matter what angle and composition ,this is definitely not a simple perspective like other accused to.

I have the same return difficulties as you. I observed  the distortion problem when the next day I got this phone.My work place far away from the Sony service location ,so I email them the distorted photo make sure I can get replacement .They reply to me to wait for new firmware update,when I realizing that Sony has no plans to fix it, I was ask for a return but they said has passed the return deadline and I think they don't know how to fix it as well.Must be forced with it now like you case,cause the second hand price is really very low as well.I have  no surplus to lose so much money in a month from a new phone I  bought.As you said that if Sony develop department can notice  local support that extended return period  for us because of the distortion problem would be thankful.

Talent
Message 192 of 838
Message 192 of 838

@Bonelol

Where is the grid photos  Kunicross posted ???

That make me thinking that are we using a wrong camera module ? Is it possible  good one out there?

But YuRR has explained the official  one are the same.

Veteran
Message 193 of 838
Message 193 of 838

We want even F1.4 and OIS. 

Highlighted
Adept
Message 194 of 838
Message 194 of 838

Talent
Message 195 of 838
Message 195 of 838

Bonelol

That's  awful  grid photo man! Same as the phone camera we have.

Apprentice
Message 196 of 838
Message 196 of 838

Just find SONY CEO's e-mail address and e-mail him the link to this and the XDA's forum terads discussing the XZP's camera distortion issue that you are seeing. If he does not react/respond to your e-mail, then you really know how committed SONY is to reacting to their customer's feedback! However, if he reacts you will hear on this forum in no time :-)

I placed a pre-order for the XZP but now I am thinking of canceling it.

Dr. P

Enthusiast
Message 197 of 838
Message 197 of 838

Going off what I've read & heard this is a hardware fault yet again according to my friend who happens to own 1 of these phones reckons no amount of updates or software enhancements will remedy. Sony will simply ride this 1 out they are not going to recall all of the phones there will have to recompensate all of the immediate sale purchases people who return the phones within a very short timescale others may not be so lucky. Lots of people who aren't that serious about photography (such as my friend who purchased 1 when launched) aren't that bothered not to the extent of complaining (deaf ears anyway) he will simply live with it for abit & sell the phone & probably get the next iPhone 8 or S9.

Adviser
Message 198 of 838
Message 198 of 838

same Japan version  

can not use this camera for person's photo or non-complex scene ,all crooked .

is the sony developer replied for anybody about the software repair yet?

all sony camera have distortion control option you all know that?

even fisheye can correct by software why not this phone?

video mode can correct it why not photo?

samsung can fix it why not sony ?

how hard it is ?

don't be lazywebwxgetmsgimg (5).jpg

defish.jpgGoProFishEyeCorrectionPhotoshop.jpgfisheye-distortion.jpg

Enthusiast
Message 199 of 838
Message 199 of 838

I also noticed that the distortion is quite alot more noticeable than other phones...

If you use Video mode to take photos, however the distortion wasn't seen and seem to have correction applied. Hope Sony can do the same thing with their still images. 

For comparison here is OnePlus 5's distortion:
[url]http://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_5-review-1623p8.php#image18[/url]

S8 Plus:
[url]http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8_plus-review-1602p9.php#image39[/url]

U11:
[url]http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_u_11-review-1620p8.php#image17[/url]

iPhone 7 Plus:
[url]http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_7_plus-review-1506p8.php#image10[/url]

XZ Premium:
[url]http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz_premium-review-1610p8.php#image8[/url]

Inhabitant
Message 200 of 838
Message 200 of 838

Maybe SONY's lens distortion stems from the poor quality of the (Ofilm) foundry module because of excessive cost suppression, and optical axis offset and lens shape errors have been the hardware weaknesses of SONY mobile products. No way, just a good waste. Can only expect SONY mobile, willing to spend money. After all, it's bad enough to get rid of G lens authentication and bad teammates.